Using the "Go To" button for FF mkv files in increments?

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Using the "Go To" button for FF mkv files in increments?

Postby Kafka » Fri May 21, 2010 6:34 pm

Hi,

I'm a compulsive FF and RW of files. Mostly b/c I watch shows with the gf who likes to talk :-).

On the PVR I just hit a button the skips a head 30 sec or skips back 10 sec. Now for mkv file, according to the search of this forum, you can't FF or RW. You can only use the "Go To" button, which according to PS3 web site allows you to enter a specific time. This seems a bit cumbersome to have to enter the exact time. I'm in the market for a new universal remote, the good kind that allow for macros and such (like the MX-950). I'd like be able to do this skip functionality via a remote (to a PS3 bluetooth extender of course).

Anyone do this? My initial looks around via this forum and the web makes me think it is not possible. Holding out hope :P .
Kafka

Re: Using the "Go To" button for FF mkv files in increments?

Postby meskibob » Fri May 21, 2010 7:07 pm

As far as I can tell, there's no direct access to the Go To feature on the PS3 Blu Ray remote. Assuming they only made the remote options as extensible as their own remote, I don't think you can get direct access to Go To on your universal remote. This would require you to macro in the Control Panel first (using Triangle, which does have a button on the PS3 remote). Unfortunately, your position in the Control Panel is remembered from where you last used it, and I think (at work so can't check) the menu completely wraps around, so there's no way to define your absolute position to be able to move to the Go To option. In this case you'd have to manually confirm/move to Go To first before running the macro... Not sure if that's still worth it, and it could be disastrous if you macro'd at the wrong time.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Kafka » Fri May 21, 2010 7:15 pm

Ok .. I see your point. But for the sake of argument assume we can get to the Go To button, is there a away to simply jump 30 sec, or do you have to enter in the full time. I.E. I'm at 00:20:00 (20 mins) into the show, do I always have to enter 00:20:30 (for thirty seconds jump) or is there a way to just enter the 30 seconds to get it to add it to the current position? If you can't to that the whole issue is moot IMO, since it makes jumping backward and forward un-programmable.
Kafka

Postby meskibob » Fri May 21, 2010 7:18 pm

Go To populates with the current time and properly increments when going past 60, so it would just be move to the seconds column and go up 30 clicks.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Kafka » Fri May 21, 2010 7:26 pm

Ahh ... thank you for the quick replies ... then it might be possible then. I remote like the MX-950 has programmable variables that are used to remember state (0 or 1). So with some fancy work you might be able to get it to remember its last position on the menu, and run a macro to go to Go To.
Kafka

Return to General Discussion