Streaming Ripped Blu-Ray Support (similar to DVD?)

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Streaming Ripped Blu-Ray Support (similar to DVD?)

Postby duangirv » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:16 pm

Hi All -

Really impressed with PS3 Media Server so far, and am excited to hear that Xbox 360 support is coming. In particular, I love that I can navigate to a ripped VIDEO_TS folder on the server and stream a DVD in perfect quality, including 5.1 support (server is a Windows machine). My question is whether this support might be coming for ripped Blu-Ray discs?

I've seen that there's .mt2s support, but my problem is that when I navigate to the Stream folder, I see a massive pile of movie segments. I'm looking for the PMS to simply allow me to playback the movie and have it figure out what pieces are coming, in what order.

I'd also be curious whether there's any loss in quality likely from the transcoding process for .mt2s. My understanding is that the regular DVD streaming isn't really transcoding, it's remuxing to MPEG2, so you get the identical quality as if the disc were in the drive. Am curious if that's so, and whether the same will be true for Blu-Ray?

Thanks for any thoughts you might be able to share!
duangirv

Re: Streaming Ripped Blu-Ray Support (similar to DVD?)

Postby winterpegman » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:31 pm

I just found out (buy trying it) that the PS 3 does play VOB files.
I tried it by copying a DVD to my USB flash drive, and by streaming from Windows Media Player 11 (and via NAS DNS-323).
It plays the VOB files great.
You do have to enable a setting on the PS 3 to play consecutive files which also worked great (no delay between the VOBs).

I tried PS3 Media Server to play ISO's too. It didn't work for me but it did try...ended up timing out while doing the transcoding.
But I am excited because this is the format I want to backup my DVD's into.
winterpegman

Postby moviegeek » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:14 am

I agree completely. The ability to play DVD video files and .iso images from the computer is awesome. No need to burn a disc.

I tried to play a BluRay rip of "Amadeus", but no matter which .mt2s file I tried, the PS just said the file is "Defect". Might be a bad rip, so I will try another.
moviegeek

Postby j2048b » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:15 am

winterpegman wrote:I just found out (buy trying it) that the PS 3 does play VOB files.
I tried it by copying a DVD to my USB flash drive, and by streaming from Windows Media Player 11 (and via NAS DNS-323).
You do have to enable a setting on the PS 3 to play consecutive files which also worked great (no delay between the VOBs).

I tried PS3 Media Server to play ISO's too. It didn't work for me but it did try...ended up timing out while doing the transcoding.

WHAT SETTING DO YOU HAVE TO CHANGE IN THE PS3 SETTINGS SO IT WILL PLAY CONTINUOUSLY FOR THE VOB'S?
j2048b

Postby Burrito » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:28 pm

j2048b wrote:
winterpegman wrote:I just found out (buy trying it) that the PS 3 does play VOB files.

WHAT SETTING DO YOU HAVE TO CHANGE IN THE PS3 SETTINGS SO IT WILL PLAY CONTINUOUSLY FOR THE VOB'S?

See "Sequential Playback" here: http://manuals.playstation.net/document ... .html#3616
Burrito

Postby j2048b » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:44 pm

thanks for the manual link!!
j2048b

Return to General Discussion