Will this play HD WMV files with WMA Pro audio?

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Will this play HD WMV files with WMA Pro audio?

Postby Graphic » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:41 am

I've been having problems streaming certain files with TVersity so I tried this and sweet, it plays .mkv's with no BS!

Before I had a 1080p WMV HD file that had 5.1 WMA Pro audio. In TVersity it would stream the video perfectly, but there would be no sound at all. I tried everything and it just wasn't in the cards.

Now I'd just put it in a folder and test it myself with PS3 Media Server...but I'm afraid that in my rage, I deleted the file. And emptied the trash bin. Unfortunately it doesn't even show up with an undelete program. :cry:

So I'm asking, does it?
Graphic

Re: Will this play HD WMV files with WMA Pro audio?

Postby whome » Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:39 pm

WMAPro audio codec is poorly supported by open-source tools. PS3MS uses various open-source tools to decode and encode video streams. Some had done reverse engineering to decode wmapro, but most projects still don't have that codebase.

My solution has been to convert wmv files to mp4 (avc/aac), but its still not perfect. VLC gives some artifacts at the beginning or audio is not lipsynced.

VLC0.8.x conversion, this does not work in VLC0.9.x they changed some commandline syntax and have not figured it out.
Code: Select all
C:\media\convert>"C:\apps\vlc-0.8.6\vlc.exe"  --sout-x264-level 41 --sout=#transcode{vcodec=h264,acodec=mp4a,ab=192,channel=2,audio-sync,deinterlace}:std{access=file,mux=mp4,url=".\output.mp4"}  ".\input.wmv"  vlc:quit
whome

Return to General Discussion