Simple file conversions for streaming

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Simple file conversions for streaming

Postby Gilliland » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:26 pm

Is there any way to get PSM to reconstruct file formats without transcoding? I have a number of transport stream files that contain perfectly usable MPEG2/AC3 content, but the PS3 rejects some of them with an 80028801 error. There is no need for the actual video or audio streams to be touched, but the TS envelope seems to contain header data and/or metadata that causes the PS3 to reject it. Is there any way for PSM to fix these headers on the fly without transcoding the content?
Gilliland

Re: Simple file conversions for streaming

Postby shagrath » Fri Feb 06, 2009 10:28 pm

try the tsmuxer engine with AC3 option checked
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Gilliland » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:10 pm

No, that doesn't work. It plays the files, but audio and video are way out of sync.

The AVISynth/FFMpeg option comes closest to working, but it still pauses every few seconds and gets out of sync easily. The AVISynth/Mencoder option seems to drop a lot of frames - the video gets pretty jerky.

The sad thing is that most of these TS files stream perfectly to the PS3 without any transcoding whatsoever. But a tiny handful fail on the PS3. There are no apparent differences between the ones that work and the ones that don't. They all play perfectly on the PC, and all show the same parameters when run through MediaInfo.

And none of them work well with any of the transcode options. Even with a Core2Quad CPU and wired gigabit connection.

Thanks for the suggestion, though. I've been fighting with this for a month now.
Gilliland

Postby shagrath » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:24 pm

No, that doesn't work. It plays the files, but audio and video are way out of sync.

interesting... did you try to remux the file with tsMuxerGUI and stream it (without transcode) on ps3 ?
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Gilliland » Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:55 pm

Yes, that works fine. It just adds an extra step to the process.

My best bet may be to just wait until Sony fixes the PS3 so that it plays these files. They seem to be improving TS support with each successive release. Maybe this will get fixed in time. In the meantime, I can just watch them on the computer.

Thanks for your help.
Gilliland

Postby shagrath » Sat Feb 07, 2009 12:02 am

Gilliland wrote:Yes, that works fine. It just adds an extra step to the process.

My best bet may be to just wait until Sony fixes the PS3 so that it plays these files. They seem to be improving TS support with each successive release. Maybe this will get fixed in time. In the meantime, I can just watch them on the computer.

Thanks for your help.

ok so, in tsMuxer engine config panel, try NOT to check the AC3 option then :)
I guess you have met the audio delay bug: http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver ... ail?id=181
shagrath
Project Lead

Return to General Discussion