Thumbnail generation support

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Re: Thumbnail generation support for music files

Postby rickster53 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:15 pm

shagrath wrote:
rickster53 wrote:I have ripped my CD library to lossless .wma format and am able to stream all of that content fine with both the PS3 Media Server and Tversity. But for some reason, Tversity displays music thumbnails at the song level but the PS3 Media server does not. Both media servers are using the same source for the content "My Music" folder. I am able to get video thumbnails to display by dropping DVD cover art with the appropriate naming convention into the folder as described earlier in this thread... so I know that the PS3 Media Server is generating thumbnails. I even tried to see if I could "force" music thumbnail generation by correctly naming and putting a jpeg file in the album folder but had no luck. Am I doing something wrong or is the PS3 media server not capable of generating thumbnails for Music?

it supports album art but I read somewhere there could be a bug with wma cover art detection.. maybe next version should perform better as I updated the audio application library

I can confirm that V1.04 now displays album art for music files converted to wma format. It does this at the song level by displaying the same album cover art for each song, which is fine. However, I have yet to see, or figure out how to get an album cover displayed at the folder level. This would be particular useful if your albums are sorted by Artist and you have multiple albums within a folder. You could then spot an album by its cover art. While Tversity can also display the album art at the song level, it too does not display the album art at the folder (album) level. I'm not sure if this is something that can be added to PMS, or whether it is a limitation at the PS3 level. I do know that on my PC, Windows Media Player displays Album Cover Art at the album level and Windows Explorer uses a file called folder.jpg to display the album cover art inside the traditional folder icon.
rickster53

Re: Thumbnail generation support

Postby picchio_75 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:44 pm

When i go in media library i canno't see the tumb, while if i go in the single folder i can see the tumb.
Is This normal (correct) ?
picchio_75

Postby rickster53 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:50 pm

picchio_75 wrote:When i go in media library i canno't see the tumb, while if i go in the single folder i can see the tumb.
Is This normal (correct) ?

That's my situation as well, but I don't understand why it's that way. :?: I don't really understand why the Media Library folder is necessary given you can traverse your own media folders that you configured and get both the filenames and the thumbnails. :? I'm sure there is a valid reason and I'm sure that over time some more detailed documentaion will be coming. It certainly would be helpfu!
rickster53

Postby Liger Megatron » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:33 pm

As I've mentioned in a previous post, the PS3 IS capable of displaying album art at the folder (thumbnail) level. I've seen this with actual albums I've stored on the PS3's hard drive. So its just a matter of finding a way to make it happen between the PC and the PS3.

I'm sure the creators of PS3 Media Server will find a way to make it happen.

Everything else they've done thus far has been brilliant :D

Regards,
Liger M
Liger Megatron

Postby shagrath » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:21 pm

Liger Megatron wrote:As I've mentioned in a previous post, the PS3 IS capable of displaying album art at the folder (thumbnail) level. I've seen this with actual albums I've stored on the PS3's hard drive. So its just a matter of finding a way to make it happen between the PC and the PS3.

PS3 does not support this by network, only with internal drive
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Meelobee » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:27 am

rickster53 wrote:Note: My video thumbnail files are approximately 80KB each.

Try using smaller files, I had the same problem as you, until I noticed my thumbnail images where 120kb each. I edited them with photoshop and saved them to smaller files with a max of 40kb. Now they load way faster and they stay visible when scrolling up and down.

Can someone explain to me how to add thumbnails to DVD's ? (Video_TS folder with .vob files)
The structure on my PS3 is like this:

- Shared\DVD\moviename\VIDEO_TS\Filename.vob
- Shared\HD Movies\Filename.mpg

I would like to have a thumbnail shown for each movie when I browse the DVD folder on my PS3.
I tried and 'filename.vob.cover.jpg' but that doesn't seem to work for the Video_TS folder while it does work on the HD movies folder. I also tried to placing a file called folder.jpg into the Video_TS folder but that also doesn't work.**

**Edit: folder.jpg does work with folders containing .mpg, .avi, or .m2ts, but not for video_ts folders with .vob, .bup & .ifo files. :(

Is this possible at all?
Last edited by Meelobee on Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Meelobee

Postby shagrath » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:42 am

Meelobee wrote:Is this possible at all?

not for the time being
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby rickster53 » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:43 pm

Meelobee wrote:
rickster53 wrote:Note: My video thumbnail files are approximately 80KB each.

Try using smaller files, I had the same problem as you, until I noticed my thumbnail images where 120kb each. I edited them with photoshop and saved them to smaller files with a max of 40kb. Now they load way faster and they stay visible when scrolling up and down.

Can you tell me what CPU your PC runs on and what type of network you have? Here's why I'm asking... I just went thru a time intense effort to create the covers for my video library (sample follows...)

Iron.Man.mp4.cover.jpg
Iron.Man.mp4.cover.jpg (85.81 KiB) Viewed 7582 times

...so I would like to avoid having to re-edit each of them over agin, if possible. I am running a wired 100mb connection to the PS3 and my PC is a rather old P4 2.0gGhz, that has no problems streaming any music or video file (Note: all my videos are mp4 and require no transcoding by PMS). I have been considering upgrading both the network and the PC anyway, and am wondering if I will still have the issue even with the upgrade... Ie. I'll have to produce lower resolutionn thumbnails regardless of whether I upgrade or not.

Note: If anyone is interested in using the template for this thumbnail, I can't take credit for creating it but you can find the original author and the template here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=15567629#post15567629
rickster53

Postby Meelobee » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:00 am

I have a Q6600 CPU, 2Gb RAM, Vista Ultimate and a Gigabit LAN.
Meelobee

Postby Liger Megatron » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:53 am

I've made a discovery that (while probably unrelated) might be of interest to those who own a PSP. I own a PSP and have installed Sony's version of itunes for PSP's (Sony Media Manager) onto my computer. Just like with ipod's & itunes, you have a choice of dragging & dropping stuff from your PC onto the PSP or using MM to "sync" stuff onto the device.

I've discovered that if you sync MP3's onto a PSP using Media Manager, you get album artwork on both the songs AND the album folder/thumbnail. If you just use your browser, you don't..... ;)

Regards,
Liger M
Liger Megatron

PreviousNext

Return to General Help and Support