Frustrating A/V sync issues

For help and support with PS3 Media Server in general
Forum rules
Please make sure you follow the Problem Reporting Guidelines before posting if you want a reply.

Frustrating A/V sync issues

Postby strictlyfocused » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:37 am

1- your computer specs (cpu, memory) and the precise server version you're using
Core 2 Duo e6600, 2GB RAM, EVGA 680i A1, Windows Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
PS3MS 1.10.51 (though I’ve thoroughly played with all the versions from 0.99 to the most current beta)

2- the network connection you are using for streaming your files (wifi, homeplugs, ethernet 100Mbits, or gigabit)
100Mbps wired ethernet into a WRTG54GL running Tomato 1.25

3- detailed infos on what's not working
When transcoding MKV's I have some very elusive AV sync issues. I can provide generous amounts of info regarding the MKV's Im trying to play, Im a bit OCD and have a meticulously maintained video library.

- MKV with MPEG4 and AC3 or DTS
    - Audio starts out in sync, as it plays audio becomes progressively too fast
      - "container == matroska :: -nosync" is the best solution I’ve found yet, but near the end of playback video has become slightly too fast
      - "container == matroska :: -mc 0 -noskip" does nothing. It makes no discernable difference with or without this script.
      - "container == matroska :: framerate == 23.976 :: -speed 1.042709376 -ofps 25" causes a mencoder crash
- MKV with MPEG4 and AAC
    - Audio starts out in sync, as it plays audio becomes progressively too fast
      - "container == matroska :: -nosync" destroys playback. Audio starts out roughly 1 full second too fast and gets much worse as playback continues.
      - "container == matroska :: -mc 0 -noskip" does nothing. It makes no discernable difference with or without this script.
      - "container == matroska :: framerate == 23.976 :: -speed 1.042709376 -ofps 25" causes a mencoder crash

4- if you're transcoding some videos, which engine are you using ? (mencoder, avisynth/mencoder, tsmuxer)
Mencoder

5- a debug.log file excerpt, or you can zip the whole file. this file can be found in the application directory, or if you have UAC and Vista activated, likely found in the Windows temp directory
Will upload//post if anyone thinks it’s relevant

6- if you are streaming to anything other than a PS3, please mention it
Xbox 360

Comments-
I’ve started to think that it may be related to the fact that I’m running Vista x64. I’ve spent more time than I care to even think about trying to correct my AV Sync issues. If it means correcting this nightmare of an issue I will build a machine specifically for streaming and have it running XP SP3 or whatever OS needed to fix this.
I’ve got a spare 320GB drive that I am going to install Windows XP SP3 onto and start doing some testing. Either way, building a machine specifically for streaming or rolling my main machine back to XP are absolute last ditch efforts. I would like to try to correct this without having to build another machine or changing my operating system.

Im willing to purchase CoreAVC pro and use AviSynth if that will fix my sync issues. Anytime Ive tried using AviSynth and CoreAVC I lose all ability to playback MKVs. Anyone have a guide or can tell me how I should go about setting those up if theres even a remote possibility it will fix my sync issues?

Regardless, this is an amazing piece of software. My hat goes off to all the people who have helped develop this. Since discovering this software I’ve been forced to purchase 2 WD 1TB drives due to acquiring so much media now that I’m able to stream it all effortlessly to my TV. Thank you PS3MS team!!
strictlyfocused

coreavc

Postby otmanix » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:30 pm

Hi, here's a guide if you like to try avisynth with or without CoreAVC: http://otmanix.de/english/2009/06/01/java-ps3-media-server-for-dummies-chapter-5-videolan-and-avisynth/
There's a trial version available so you can test CoreAVC before buying.
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Re: coreavc

Postby strictlyfocused » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:09 am

otmanix wrote:Hi, here's a guide if you like to try avisynth with or without CoreAVC: http://otmanix.de/english/2009/06/01/java-ps3-media-server-for-dummies-chapter-5-videolan-and-avisynth/
There's a trial version available so you can test CoreAVC before buying.

thanks man!! You have a pretty awesome guide in the works there ... definitely bookmarking it for future reference :D

Edit - I followed your guide to the letter and everything is working, but Im still having A/V sync issues. I can confirm its playing through the AviSynth/Mencoder combo as is indicated by the status bar at the bottom of the PS3MS window. I get the "content is unsupported" error when using AviSynth/FFmpeg.

Playing MKV's with AC3/DTS audio results in the video becoming progressively too fast. Playing MKV's with AAC audio results in the video being at least one full second too fast right from the start.

Ive also discovered that when I force AVI's to transcode through mencoder alone(through the #TRANSCODE# folder) I get the same audio sync issues as when I transcode MKV's (videos become progressively too fast).
strictlyfocused

Re: Frustrating A/V sync issues

Postby strictlyfocused » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:23 pm

Got it working!! Updated to the latest stable versions of Haali Media Splitter and FFDShow. Initially I was using the ones included in the latest stable version of CCCP, all of which were significantly older than the latest stable versions posted on the authors websites.

Here is my setup that currently plays everything Ive thrown at it and stays in sync.

Software:
    PS3MS 1.10.51
    Avisynth 2.5.7
    Haalli Media Splitter - 1.9.42.1 (Jan-11-2009)
    FFDShow - rev3014 (Jun-20-2009)
    CoreAVC 1.9.0
PS3MS Settings:
    Avisynth/Mencoder set as primary video files engine
    Mencoder - Force framerate parsed from FFMpeg
    Mencoder - Expert Settings : Codecs specific parameters
      framerate == 23.976 :: -speed 1.042709376 -ofps 25
      container == matroska :: -nosync
strictlyfocused

Postby Ancient » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:22 am

I have the same issue but still having trouble to get the software list you have working correctly with PS3MS

Software:

PS3MS 1.10.51
Avisynth 2.5.7
CoreAVC 1.9.0

I also work with Windows Vista x64

I have the same software list installed but I am not 100% sure if PS3MS uses all the same software. (Dont know how i can check yhis within PS3MS)
Ancient

Postby strictlyfocused » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:36 am

Ancient wrote:I have the same issue but still having trouble to get the software list you have working correctly with PS3MS

Software:

PS3MS 1.10.51
Avisynth 2.5.7
CoreAVC 1.9.0

I also work with Windows Vista x64

I have the same software list installed but I am not 100% sure if PS3MS uses all the same software. (Dont know how i can check yhis within PS3MS)

The easiet way I found to ensure that all the right applications (Haali, CoreAVC, and FFDShow audio) are loading is to enable the tray icons for all 3. When I play an MKV, I get one CoreAVC icon, one FFDShow Audio Icon(blue one), and two Haali Media Splitter Icons. Anything else usually results in a single FFDShow Audio icon.

On the subject of your sync issues still occuring, have you applied the settings I recommended at the bottom of my post? Even with all the correct software I still have to set the 23.976 framerate tweak, use -nosync for mkv's, and force the framerate parsed from FFMpeg to get everything to stay in sync.
strictlyfocused

Postby Ancient » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:05 pm

Software:
    PS3MS 1.10.51 (Yes, with the "extra"setting"in use)
    Avisynth 2.5.7 (Using the 2.5.8 version here)
    Haalli Media Splitter - 1.9.42.1 (Jan-11-2009) ( Same version and got tray icon )
    FFDShow - rev3014 (Jun-20-2009) (Same version but no matter what i do its not going to my tray icons )
    CoreAVC 1.9.0 (Got the trail version but again no matter what i do its not going to my tray icons also )

PS3MS Settings:

Yes found the settings within PS3MS but still the same out in sync issue's
Ancient

Postby strictlyfocused » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:03 am

Ancient wrote:Software:
    PS3MS 1.10.51 (Yes, with the "extra"setting"in use)
    Avisynth 2.5.7 (Using the 2.5.8 version here)
    Haalli Media Splitter - 1.9.42.1 (Jan-11-2009) ( Same version and got tray icon )
    FFDShow - rev3014 (Jun-20-2009) (Same version but no matter what i do its not going to my tray icons )
    CoreAVC 1.9.0 (Got the trail version but again no matter what i do its not going to my tray icons also )

PS3MS Settings:
Yes found the settings within PS3MS but still the same out in sync issue's

I had some issues using Avisynth 258, sometimes some sync issues but mostly stuttering issues. IMO, its worth at least giving 257 a go and seeing what happens.

Im not sure why your CoreAVC and FFDshow arent loading, Im thinking maybe something to do with codec settings? Heres some screenshots of my codec settings under ffdshow and coreavc. I figured screenshots would be easier than typing a whole bunch of stuff out haha
strictlyfocused

Postby Decado » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:35 am

Is there a list of all the recommended files/codecs to install and in what order? Documentation for PS3MS seems severely lacking. Difficult to tell what you're doing wrong.
Decado

Postby Ancient » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:23 pm

Well downgraded to the 2.57
Disabled the XviD option in the video decoder option ( That was the only diff, but dont think that matters in this case)

Followed the http://otmanix.de/english/2009/06/01/ja ... -avisynth/ by the letter

But still no tray icons from FFDshow + CoreAVC
and A/V sync issues with PS3MS... so dont even know if its working correctly with the same software in place you have.

Gonna make a ticket with CoreAVS about the icon tray issue because all other thinks look good but still not 100% sure there because the problem is still there.

Got no clue why i dont get FFDshow tray icons
Ancient

Next

Return to General Help and Support