Ps3 media server or mkv2vob quality once copied to ps3

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Ps3 media server or mkv2vob quality once copied to ps3

Postby FEvans » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:26 pm

sorry about posting this hear but i would be interested in peoples views on this in light of my set up.

i have a very old PC which through ps3media does not stream even 720p properly let alone 1080p. I was a happy user of mkv2vob and once transcoded it would quite happily stream 720p films etc. however i also sometimes copy the file to the ps3 as well (the only option i have with ps3media due to my pc's crap performance).

therefore purely on the basis of quality is there any differnce between a copied ps3media file or one which has gone through the mkv2vob process
FEvans

Re: Ps3 media server or mkv2vob quality once copied to ps3

Postby shagrath » Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:00 pm

I guess it's even... but ps3mediaserver is relying on bigger file size to achieve faster encoding performances (for example to keep up with HD in real time, even with not so recent computers)
shagrath
Project Lead

Re: Ps3 media server or mkv2vob quality once copied to ps3

Postby jonLumpkin » Fri Jun 12, 2009 4:56 am

If the PMS is using the TSMuxer engine (it should for compatible MKVs) quality should be identical to mkv2vob.

Both of these methods are a simple Re-Mux (extract elementary streams, put in a new container, DON'T change the data). As such, no quality is lost and very little CPU usage is required.

I would check your settings because PMS should be able to remux and stream any file that is supported by mkv2vob even on a very old machine. Verify that you have tsMuxer enabled as I think you might be trying to transcode when you don't need to..

jonLumpkin

Return to General Discussion