Is slowness just the way it is with a PS3?

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Is slowness just the way it is with a PS3?

Postby dancougar » Tue May 26, 2009 3:00 am

Hi all,
First, let me say this is NOT a dig on the PS3 Media Server. As far as I'm concerned it works better than anything else out there. I appreciate the hard work that has gone into it.

My comments are a general observation for all these types of software....tversity for example.

Browsing media is slow. So slow its just about unusable. I have thousands of pictures....it takes upwards of 30 seconds each to generate a thumbnail...it takes even longer to open a picture. Music...browsing folders is a bit faster, but over a minute to start playing a track. Video....same issues, however, once streaming works fantastic.

I should state that I am running over wireless. I know this can slow things down, but I can fire up a wireless laptop right next to my PS3, fire up XBMC and it works just fine....fast everything. I can only think that the PS3 just doesn't work very well using this type of application.

So why this post? I'm just wondering if my experience is typical or if most of you are having a great experience using your PS3's with these types of software. Thanks for the feedback....I just want to know if this is as good as it gets.

Thank you..

-D
dancougar

Re: Is slowness just the way it is with a PS3?

Postby pmos69 » Tue May 26, 2009 4:14 am

no, it's not typical.
pmos69

Postby dancougar » Tue May 26, 2009 7:56 pm

Well...good to know its not typical. I'm in the process of moving my media room...once moved Ill have access to a wired connection. I think Ill grab a long cable and try it while being wired and see if its acceptable then. I'll post back when I have something to share.

-D
dancougar

Postby pmos69 » Tue May 26, 2009 9:28 pm

If you want some help, you have to detail your setup.
pmos69

Postby dancougar » Tue May 26, 2009 11:06 pm

Ok....so I turned off wireless and went with a wired connection. Its better, but still pretty slow. It takes 3-4 seconds to generate a thumbnail for each picture. There are 350 pictures in the directory....they average about 2MB each.

I have a new 40GB PS3 upgraded to 320GB. Its running the latest firmware. The PC running the Media Server is a 3GHz P4 with 3GB ram and mirrored 1TB disks. Its running XP Media Center 2005. 100Mb network (now that PS3 is wired).

I guess I just expect it to be snappy. (I do expect delays when viewing transcoded video...) Watching the the network activity indicator while it pulls up a file list and then watching the spinning thumbnail icon as it generates thumnails is not snappy.

BTW...copying media to the PS3 hard drive is snappy, but I already crashed my PS3 once when copying all 3500 pictures, 2800 music files, and about 50 video files....I ended up having to format the drive and start over.

Thanks for the feedback....I think I am just expecting too much.

-D
dancougar

Postby Burrito » Wed May 27, 2009 1:27 am

How is it when you have ~10 AVI files or MP4 in one folder. It takes like 1 second to generate thumbnails for me.
Burrito

Postby jebise101 » Wed May 27, 2009 2:29 am

i'm is the same boat and this is one major reason why i still have tversity on my PC
jebise101

Postby richie » Wed May 27, 2009 4:06 am

I've been experiencing similar problems when browsing media. Sometimes when there are >20 videos in a single directory it could take upwards of 15-20s to load the file list, and once that is loaded around 5s per file to load the thumbnails.
richie

Postby shagrath » Wed May 27, 2009 8:15 am

enable the media library, guys
at least second browsing will be fast
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby richie » Wed May 27, 2009 1:42 pm

I've had the media library enabled since it was introduced, but it has only been in the last few versions where browsing media has become unbearably slow. I did make one change to the setup, switching from a wireless connection to a wired one (to speed up streaming of HD media files), however I wouldn't expect that to slow down browsing.

On a similar note, last night I was browsing a directory for a season of a TV show which had around 50 episodes in it, and I kept receiving "There are no titles" from the PS3 after about 3-4 minutes of it trying to load the directory listing. Tried disabling the media library, resetting the media library, and deleting the media library, but nothing worked. I had to break the list in half to view it successfully. Again I had never seen this type of issue with previous versions, I'm thinking pre-1.04 but that would be a total guess on my part.

I may try reverting to a previous version in the next couple of days if I have time, and if that fails I may install TVersity or similar to try and rule out the PS3 as the culprit.
richie

Next

Return to General Discussion