ISP - Throttling Speeds

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

ISP - Throttling Speeds

Postby rozel » Sat May 23, 2009 11:51 am

Hi everyone

Basically this PS3MS programme rocks - absolutely well done shagrath !!! :) :) :) :) :)

However since downloading the large .mkv files, I seem to have been "marked" by my ISP (here in the UK) as a "heavy user", particularly at the week ends when my download capacity is unlimited. I am on ADSL Max and usually get between 6.4/6.7 Mbps. My exchange does not support LLU and is unlikely to in the forseeable future.

This means my download speeds are cut dramtically until the congestion on the infrastructure is reduced, which rarely happens at the week ends - the result being I am only able to download at speeds between 1/1.7 Mbps, if not lower sometimes.

I've read much about this and it seems every ISP in the UK uses some method to "throttle back" when downloading during free periods.

Question : -

Does anyone know of an ISP here in the UK which is not throttling speeds and is unlikely to in the forseeable future ?

I'm prepared to move, but need a recommendation first. I live in N.E. England btw

TIA

roz
rozel

Re: ISP - Throttling Speeds

Postby silicon » Sat May 23, 2009 12:37 pm

rozel wrote:I seem to have been "marked" by my ISP (here in the UK) as a "heavy user",

Question : -

Does anyone know of an ISP here in the UK which is not throttling speeds and is unlikely to in the forseeable future ?

roz

Wow...they've marked you? That's sorta scary. I wouldn't be surprised if my ISP has marked me as well, but they wouldn't due to my ways of sharing bandwidth with other users in my area. ;)

I read on the news a few months ago about my ISP planning on cutting down bandwidth to a limited bandwidth. There were tons of dis-agreements and complaints made. My ISP decided not to move forward with their plans, which was a very smart thing to do. Imagine all the customer's they would've lost.

I'm running on DSL and capping my downloads at 1.7 Mbps to sometimes 2.1 Mbps. To top that off, I pay only $19.99 monthly for my DSL. I have my special ways of taking bandwidth from people. 8-)
Join My Informative & Helpful Fuss! http://gamersuniverse.bestbb.net
silicon

Postby rozel » Sat May 23, 2009 12:49 pm

Yeah "marked" is the term they use - remain unmarked for 14 days consecutively from the last time you were marked and the limitation is removed and you will then get the maximum speed that the infrastructure will allow at any given time. For the ALT system (Anti-Loss Tool) to kick in, you need to be marked 5 times - you are then classed as a Heavy User -I've been marked 7 times up to last week end and I daresay I will be marked again today and/or tomorrow! Obviously everyone is cut back during busy periods but when you are classed as a Heavy User you are subjected to even more throttling back. The ALT system only kicks in during periods of congestion so when not busy I do not get any throttling back.

It seems a fair system (which is computer generated, apparently) but I want an ISP that doesn't introduce anything like this and is unlikely to in the near future.

Anyone please from the UK ?

TAIA

roz
rozel

Postby chrissiecool » Sat May 23, 2009 1:15 pm

i've been with UKOnline for 2 years now they have a 500gb monthly cap and no speed restrictions at all. I'm on their 16mb service £24.99 a month and get full speeds all the time. Obviously they have a fair usage policy but i have been downloading up to 300gb a month without any warnings. LLU exchange is an essential though.
chrissiecool

Postby rozel » Sat May 23, 2009 4:37 pm

chrissiecool wrote:LLU exchange is an essential though.

Which is obviously no good for me - but thanks anyway :roll:

roz
rozel

Postby chrissiecool » Sat May 23, 2009 4:39 pm

well you did say you were considering a move :roll:
chrissiecool

Postby rozel » Sat May 23, 2009 4:42 pm

A move of ISP's not properties lol! :roll: :roll: :roll:

roz
rozel

Postby chrissiecool » Sat May 23, 2009 5:03 pm

ok :lol: anyway....check out UK's highest rated isp - http://www.fast.co.uk/ no traffic shaping at all
chrissiecool

Postby rozel » Sat May 23, 2009 5:09 pm

Cheers chrissiecool - I will check that out. Where did you hear that it's the UK's highest rated isp if you do not mind me asking ?

Thanks again

roz
rozel

Postby chrissiecool » Sat May 23, 2009 5:17 pm

from http://www.ispreview.co.uk/review/top10.php
some of my friends are with Be https://www.bethere.co.uk/ and told me they have never had a problem with any kind of restrictions
chrissiecool

Next

Return to General Discussion