PS3 connected directly to PC?

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

crossover cable

Postby otmanix » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:32 pm

If you want to connect your PS3 directly with a Laptop use a CAT5e crossover cable with RJ45 plugs ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable ) or a crossover adapter for normal CAT5e network cable. You need CAT5e or better for 1Gb/s connection or CAT5 for 100Mb/s.

You have to manually setup IP addresses for both PS3 and Laptop NIC within the same subnet.
example:

Laptop: IP: 192.168.0.1, network mask: 255.255.255.0
PS3: IP: 192.168.0.2, network mask: 255.255.255.0

I think there is no good reason for doing that. Use standard CAT5e cables to connect your devices to your router. Your router will be DHCP server and sets up IP and network mask automatically. Also it will set the router IP as default gateway and DNS proxy so every device is able to communicate with the internet.

Greetings, Otmanix
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog: http://otmanix.de/?cat=11&lang=en
otmanix

Re: PS3 connected directly to PC?

Postby qwerty8669 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:06 pm

i would refrain from connecting to the PC directly, one you have the movies streaming to your PS3 without all the wires running everywhere. if you have an issue with the higher res movies streaming then connect the laptop directly to the TV and skip the PS3 all together. Since i take it the laptop is the source of the movies.
qwerty8669

Re: PS3 connected directly to PC?

Postby Espo » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:30 pm

qwerty8669 wrote:i would refrain from connecting to the PC directly, one you have the movies streaming to your PS3 without all the wires running everywhere. if you have an issue with the higher res movies streaming then connect the laptop directly to the TV and skip the PS3 all together. Since i take it the laptop is the source of the movies.

Well using the computer directly connected to TV brings problems:

1. My both HDMI contacts are already in use.
2. It´s harder to get the perfect quality using TV-out instead of PS3.
3. The sound don´t get as good.
Espo

Previous

Return to General Discussion