PS3 connected directly to PC?

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

PS3 connected directly to PC?

Postby Espo » Sat May 16, 2009 1:16 pm

Hi

I have run PMS on my PC wired to router and then wired to PS3. I have to use wired connection to play 720P with subs. Now I had bought a laptop instead and wonder if its possible to connect wired directly from laptop to PS3 instead of using a router? It would be much easier to do it that way, instead of using two wires....
Espo

Re: PS3 connected directly to PC?

Postby meskibob » Sat May 16, 2009 2:35 pm

Yes, although there are internet sharing nuisances and there are issues with how you will have to start the PS3 and PMS: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=672
It'll just be easier to wire the new laptop to your current router. This essentially removes all of the issues listed above.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby pankajsingh » Thu May 21, 2009 2:01 pm

Why would you want to connect your laptop directly to PS3? What are you trying to achieve by doing that. What you have is very cool and just like the user suggested, get in the sharing mode thru the router. Less complicated
pankajsingh

Postby veer01 » Fri May 22, 2009 6:57 pm

If ur lappy is running vista its an easy fix.

Go to

network and sharing center > manage network connections > hold the "ctrl" key and select the Wireless adapter and LAN adapter. Then right click while the two are selected and choose "bridge connection"

Once done just plug ur PS3 via Ethernet into ur Lappy and configure ur PS3 to connect via a wired connection.

This use to work spectacular before the last PS3 firmware update. If you want to get ur lappy back to normal, go back to where u bridged the connection and and just delete the bridge.

Cheers ^_^
veer01

Postby Espo » Wed May 27, 2009 10:16 am

pankajsingh wrote:Why would you want to connect your laptop directly to PS3? What are you trying to achieve by doing that. What you have is very cool and just like the user suggested, get in the sharing mode thru the router. Less complicated

Because its much easier to just connect the laptop direct to PS3, instaed of using first one long cable from laptop to router and then another cable from router to PS3.
Espo

Postby Espo » Wed May 27, 2009 10:18 am

veer01 wrote:If ur lappy is running vista its an easy fix.

Go to

network and sharing center > manage network connections > hold the "ctrl" key and select the Wireless adapter and LAN adapter. Then right click while the two are selected and choose "bridge connection"

Once done just plug ur PS3 via Ethernet into ur Lappy and configure ur PS3 to connect via a wired connection.

This use to work spectacular before the last PS3 firmware update. If you want to get ur lappy back to normal, go back to where u bridged the connection and and just delete the bridge.

Cheers ^_^

Don´t have vist just XP. So you guys mean taht there is no easy way to connect the laptop direct to PS3 if you are running XP?
Espo

Postby meskibob » Wed May 27, 2009 1:07 pm

You can bridge your network connection on XP as well: http://www.google.com/search?q=bridge+n ... nection+xp
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Espo » Thu May 28, 2009 3:00 pm

veer01 wrote:If ur lappy is running vista its an easy fix.

Go to

Cheers ^_^

I installed Vista on the laptop and tried your solution with the network bridge. Then I connected the cable between PS3 and laptop and pick wired connection and then auto on all settings. But the PMS don´t find the PS3 and the PS3 can´t get an IP-address, just says fail on the connection test. Do I have to use any manual settings on the PS3 when I set up this?
Espo

Postby pankajsingh » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:17 am

Espo wrote:
pankajsingh wrote:Why would you want to connect your laptop directly to PS3? What are you trying to achieve by doing that. What you have is very cool and just like the user suggested, get in the sharing mode thru the router. Less complicated

Because its much easier to just connect the laptop direct to PS3, instaed of using first one long cable from laptop to router and then another cable from router to PS3.

I was actually suggesting a wireless router. Absolutely no need for wires. That way your laptop can be mobile. Its fine if you want a dedicated laptop for your PS3 (hard-wiring would require that) unless you want to plug in and plug out your laptop all the time. If you are so much against router technology then the simplest, least complicated thing you do is buy a 8 G memory stick, copy all your songs and stick it inside your PS3.
pankajsingh

Postby Espo » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:25 pm

pankajsingh wrote:
Espo wrote:

I was actually suggesting a wireless router. Absolutely no need for wires. That way your laptop can be mobile. Its fine if you want a dedicated laptop for your PS3 (hard-wiring would require that) unless you want to plug in and plug out your laptop all the time. If you are so much against router technology then the simplest, least complicated thing you do is buy a 8 G memory stick, copy all your songs and stick it inside your PS3.

I have wifi router and Im not against it, but if you read my first post, you find the answer why I have to use cable connection! I play 720P HD videos with subs and you can´t do it wireless, because its to much data to handle wireless. And the memory stick wouldn´t help, because its HD mkv files Im talking about, which has to be streamed.....
Espo

Next

Return to General Discussion