Dedicated PS3MS / NAS / Print Server

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Dedicated PS3MS / NAS / Print Server

Postby knicknak » Wed May 06, 2009 1:37 am

I want to turn an older windows machine with IDE Drives (possibly RAID) into a dedicated NAS / Media Server / Print Server.

What are the minimum requirements/recommendations for running PS3MS assuming transcoding will be kept to a minimum (Most video will be archived as M2TS or MPEG2)
By minimum requirements I mean processor, ram, and windows version.

My laptop and desktop are both Vista - what's the best software to run on the "old NAS Server" to share files with my two Vista Boxes - is it just using the inbuilt Windows Drive Sharing or is there something better?

Is this the best approach or would running some flavor of unix/linux be more efficient? FreeNAS, Ubuntu?

Basically what's the most efficient setup to run on old hardware given I want a NAS / Print Server accessible primarily from Vista and Media Server accessible from PS3?
knicknak

Re: Dedicated PS3MS / NAS / Print Server

Postby flammenwurfer » Thu May 07, 2009 6:27 pm

As far as absolute minimum requirements, I'm not sure. I think there is something in the wiki about that. I can tell you what I'm running though that works very well.

I put a box together from old/spare parts. It's an AMD Athlon 64 1.8 GHz processor (single core), 1 GB RAM, and an nvidia 6600GT videocard. I'm not sure whether the videocard helps ps3mediaserver or not.

I have arch linux on it with no gui and it will play any video I have perfectly, and that includes transcoding 1080p .mkv files. You can also setup samba in linux so that it will act as file/print server.
flammenwurfer

Return to General Discussion