Mpeg video Quailty settins questions.

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Mpeg video Quailty settins questions.

Postby Corran006 » Tue May 05, 2009 10:03 pm

Hey all,

I am pretty new to using PS3 Media Sever and I was wondering if a thing or two could be explained to me.

So we have the values for the Mpeg video Quality. What do Keyint, Vqmax, and VQmin mean? right now I am using keyint=3:vqmax=5:vqmin=2

second, the max bandwidth box value means how fast it will send over to to PlayStation 3 on my network?

How do I lower the file size of converted amine that has to have the subs hard encoded. seems to end up being way larger then mkv2vob does. on slow H264 setting.

Re: Mpeg video Quailty settins questions.

Postby otmanix » Sun May 10, 2009 8:33 pm

vqmax, vqmin, vqscale are mpg2 quantizer parameters for video compression. 0 is best quality (low cpu, high bandwith), the higher the worse quality becomes (higher cpu, lower bandwith)

keyint is the mpg2 parameter for keyframe. keyframe=5 means that every fifth frame is a keyframe. the higher the worse quality becomes
I provide NO application support via PM, so please post your question to the forum.
PS3 Media Server related articles on my blog:

Re: Mpeg video Quailty settins questions.

Postby ExSport » Sun May 10, 2009 9:08 pm

About keyframes it is not true.
Higher keyint uses lower bandwith but quality is same. Keyint=1 means every frame is key frame so it contains all information about frame. Keyint=10 means only one key frame used and all other frames contain only "difference" info from keyframe=lower size of frames. Next 9 frames are computed with help of key frame.

Return to General Discussion