Official thread for non-ps3 renderers (Bravia, etc.)

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Re: Has anyone tested other streaming clients with new PMS 1.11?

Postby tomeko » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:31 pm

karl123 wrote:Again the transcoding is not working and the folders in the virtual #-Transcode-# folder are still empty (except for real VOB files).
(Transcoding is working for Audio (Mplayer coder) but never for video.)

Another strange issue occurred after adding those settings:
Most folders (exept with dvd VOB content) on the PC with video files are empty when browsing them on the TV.
Before only the folders in the virtual #-Transcode-# folder were empty.

There is a bug in PMS:
In some cases PMS sends res tag with attribute size=”-1”, that is prohibited, must be unsignedLong (Philips don’t like it)
tomeko
Project Member

Postby shagrath » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:06 pm

tomeko wrote:In some cases PMS sends res tag with attribute size=”-1”, that is prohibited, must be unsignedLong (Philips don’t like it)

I forgot this one. Funny thing is it's maybe the cause of the 20min transcoding interruption in the samsung TVs as well. And "-1" is the only value I found working on the ps3, for transcoding and copying as well (but I agree, it should be an renderer specific option)
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby tomeko » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:39 pm

shagrath wrote: And "-1" is the only value I found working on the ps3, for transcoding and copying as well

Have You try sendig without "size" attribute (not required by upnp spec)? Attribute size="-1" is upnp specification violation.
tomeko
Project Member

Postby shagrath » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:06 pm

tomeko wrote:
shagrath wrote: And "-1" is the only value I found working on the ps3, for transcoding and copying as well

Have You try sendig without "size" attribute (not required by upnp spec)? Attribute size="-1" is upnp specification violation.

yes, without the size attribute, ps3 starts transcoding the first video found in every folder, something like the 10 first seconds (don't know why, maybe to determine some missing video parameters I guess) So there's a ~5 seconds penalty time each time you enter a folder (it was easy to choose between this and the upnp spec violation :p)
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby karl123 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:17 am

shagrath wrote:
tomeko wrote:

yes, without the size attribute, ps3 starts transcoding the first video found in every folder, something like the 10 first seconds (don't know why, maybe to determine some missing video parameters I guess) So there's a ~5 seconds penalty time each time you enter a folder (it was easy to choose between this and the upnp spec violation :p)

These are my experiences with PMS together with the Philips Aurea LCD-TV 37PFL9903H.

Using PMS together with a (borrowed) PS3 playstation works perfect (the TV connected with HDMI).

But the TV also has a network connection and DLNA (http-get:*:video/mpeg:DLNA.ORG_PN=MPEG_PS_PAL) capabilites.
Therefore I have been trying to connect the PMS directly to the TV with the PMS 1.11.356 version.
Just added a file PhilipsAurea.conf with the proper DLNA string from the renderer (TV): "Allegro-Software-WebClient".
Sofar it is simple: PMS recognises TV and TV sees PMS.

First I came across a browsing problem: the files were not correctly displayed at the TV side.
I got very good help from Tomeko (very much appreciated!!) and it turned out to be a bug.
Tomeko provided me a fix, and the browsing on TV is OK now. (You can read their remarks in these posts)

What are the experiences with playing video?
The TV can work natively with MPEG-2 and this works fine.
Selecting a common MPG video (or VOB file) plays fine (but without using transcoding).
Also a MPG with high resolution (1920x1080) content plays fine with good quality.
(This high resolution was made by converting a HD demo to MPG with Movavi).
Any other formats, avi, m2ts, etc. do not play native.

But currently I am stuck because I cannot get the video transcoding playing.
(The only transcoding that really works is Audio with MPlayer as transcoder).
When I select such video in the #-Transcode-# folder on TV then I see multiple options (Mencoder, Avisynth, tsMuxer, etc).
The TV-PMS tries every combination, but stops with each attempt after few seconds (sometimes short with a black TV screen).
In the transcript I see all the attempts "Starting transcoding/remux of ...". No errors seen in the debug.log file.

Of cause I tried all kind of settings in the PhilipsAurea.conf file.
In this Tomeko helped much with suggestions, but no playing video on Aurea TV via transcoding yet.

For me it is like a "black box".
I wonder how to get a working PMS-TV configuration in a more systematic way?
Any experiences or suggestions?
karl123

Postby gustavoas » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:14 pm

shagrath wrote:
tomeko wrote:In some cases PMS sends res tag with attribute size=”-1”, that is prohibited, must be unsignedLong (Philips don’t like it)

I forgot this one. Funny thing is it's maybe the cause of the 20min transcoding interruption in the samsung TVs as well. And "-1" is the only value I found working on the ps3, for transcoding and copying as well (but I agree, it should be an renderer specific option)

While we don't have a version with this option renderer specific, is there a way to manually change this attribute size=”-1” so that the Samsung TVs don't stop playing after some minutes?
gustavoas

Postby data0213 » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:51 pm

I'm running into some trouble streaming to a Bravia Z5100 TV. Here are my system details:
Linux P4 server.
FFmpeg version 0.5
MEncoder 2:1.0
MPlayer 1.0rc2-4.3.3

Audio files and pictures are displayed correctly. However, if none of the video files work (neither from the web or the local ones). I'm attaching the debug log along with my WEB.conf and PMS.conf files. In the debug log, you will notice that all I tried to do was browse for a video source on the web that came standard with Otomanix' 1.2 rev 359. However, the file list came up empty.

I even tried to look for podcasts. In the second debug file, you will see that Engadget podcasts are found but they are not displayed on the TV.

Can someone please help me fix this? Please let me know what information I can provide.

Thanks,
MT
Last edited by data0213 on Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
data0213

Postby data0213 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:33 am

I found a patch by Tomeko. I built a new version and that partially fixed my problems:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3030&p=14356&hilit=+bravia+tomeko#p12900

Now, my local video files are showing up. I'm still having trouble with web rss feeds. My daughter has taken over the TV now. I'll get new debug logs and post it back...

I posted the built version here:
http://www.easy-share.com/1908004499/pms-linux-1.20.tgz

MT
data0213

Postby tomeko » Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:33 pm

karl123 wrote:The TV can work natively with MPEG-2 and this works fine.
Selecting a common MPG video (or VOB file) plays fine (but without using transcoding).
Also a MPG with high resolution (1920x1080) content plays fine with good quality.

When I select such video in the #-Transcode-# folder on TV then I see multiple options (Mencoder, Avisynth, tsMuxer, etc).
The TV-PMS tries every combination, but stops with each attempt after few seconds (sometimes short with a black TV screen).
In the transcript I see all the attempts "Starting transcoding/remux of ...". No errors seen in the debug.log file.

After some tests with karl123, there are conclusions:
1. with size=”-1” in res tag, TV browsing crash
2. with proper or without size attribute files are visible while browsing
3. if there’s no “Accept-Ranges: bytes” and “Content-Length: “ http headers in GET media response (as is when stream is transcoded), tv can’t play stream

HTTP Headers, when stream is playing:
Code: Select all
GET /get/0$1$23/teststream.mpg HTTP/1.1
Host: 192.168.1.101:5001
Accept: */*
Connection: keep-alive
User-Agent: Streamium/1.0

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 1658755072
Content-Type: video/mpeg
Server: Windows_XP-x86-5.1, UPnP/1.0, PMS/1.20

HTTP Headers, when stream is not playing:
GET /get/0$1$5$3$0/AVI-XviD-BBC+-+The+Sinking+Of+The+USS+Liberty.avi HTTP/1.1

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
tomeko
Project Member

Postby karl123 » Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:34 pm

tomeko wrote:
karl123 wrote:The TV can work natively with MPEG-2 and this works fine.

After some tests with karl123, there are conclusions:
1. with size=”-1” in res tag, TV browsing crash
2. with proper or without size attribute files are visible while browsing
3. if there’s no “Accept-Ranges: bytes” and “Content-Length: “ http headers in GET media response (as is when stream is transcoded), tv can’t play stream

HTTP Headers, when stream is playing:
GET /get/0$1$23/teststream.mpg HTTP/1.1

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Accept-Ranges: bytes
Content-Length: 1658755072

HTTP Headers, when stream is not playing:
GET /get/0$1$5$3$0/AVI-XviD-BBC+-+The+Sinking+Of+The+USS+Liberty.avi HTTP/1.1

HTTP/1.1 200 OK

The difference in the http headers come from the fact that the transcoding is done realtime.
So the content length is not available, and therefore not mentioned.
So that means that http 1.1 chuncked encoding will be used.

The transcoded file starts playing, but stops after a few seconds.
This might mean that somehow the chunked encoding either on the server or client or both sides are implemented incorrectly.
I would guess that dlna certification tooling checks the http 1.1 chunked implementations.
karl123

PreviousNext

Return to Alternative Media Renderers