accelerate-x264-1080p-movies-over-the-gpu

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

accelerate-x264-1080p-movies-over-the-gpu

Postby deepsleo » Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:12 am

I was wondering if there can be any feature (pardon me, if it already exists) that could allow the offloading to GPU just as it does if you play videos in MPC (Media Player Classic) and enable shader support that makes the CPU free to do other things and makes extensive usage of the GPU. I stumbled upon this useful guide: http://guru3d.com/article/accelerate-x2 ... -gpu-guide and have since seen a drastic change in the video quality. If we could incorporate something of this sort, people such as me would benefit a lot as I have a rather slow CPU (Core Duo 1.66 GHz, 2GB RAM, Wired Network, Nvidia GeForce Go 7900GS). Thanks for this marvelous software.
deepsleo

Re: accelerate-x264-1080p-movies-over-the-gpu

Postby meskibob » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:00 am

deepsleo wrote:pardon me, if it already exists
Pardoned, just so long as it doesn't happen again... ;)
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=535
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby deepsleo » Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:36 am

You got me there buddy, the issue in specific is the limitation of my old graphic card (GeForce GO 7900GS) to work with CUDA. If the MPC can still take some advantage out of it, can you help me have that done with PMS too?
deepsleo

Postby meskibob » Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:01 am

As it states in the guide you posted (which is actually pretty good, thanks for the link), MPC-HC has developed its GPU transcoding through DirectX (DXVA). However, I don't believe MPC-HC has the ability transcode-then-stream files (in memory no less) since it's designed for direct playback on the machine. This obviously makes it useless as far as PMS is concerned, and as such the only viable option right now is AviSynth/CoreAVC/CUDA. However, I think MEncoder has started beta testing its own implementation of GPU transcoding, which may end up being usable for you. Sorry, but it looks like you're stuck for now.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Return to General Discussion