PMS PC keeps disappearing from XMB

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

PMS PC keeps disappearing from XMB

Postby diggidy » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:36 pm

I keep running in to this issue, I would like to know if this is happening to anyone else and if so, what you did to correct it...

After I start the PMS on my PC, it finds my PS3 and from my PS3 I can stream with no problem. After I shut down the PS3 and turn it back on (after some variable length of time), I can no longer see the PMS PC from the XMB, but when I go to my PC, it still sees my PS3. I've looked through the config and wasn't able to find any setting that might correspond to this behavior. This happen to anyone else?

Other than that, this is an amazing piece of software. Whoever the main developer (Shagrath, that you?) is should be sainted.
diggidy

Re: PMS PC keeps disappearing from XMB

Postby meskibob » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:23 am

Give it a few minutes after turning on the PS3; PMS sends out an alive notice every 3 minutes which should make it show up in the XMB. As for the status not updating correctly... that's another issue.

Side note: if PMS doesn't show up a few seconds after turning on the PS3, then something on your network or computer is blocking multicast traffic (specifically the M-Search request).
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby diggidy » Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:46 am

i'll give that a shot when i get home. thanks bob!

incidentally, is there a way to shorten that broadcast interval from 3 minutes to something shorter?
diggidy

Postby WorldOfHurt » Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:21 am

As meskibob says, the server should show up almost straight away, assuming it was already running when you started your PS3.

If it doesn't, you have a switch or router that is blocking the multicast UDP message that is sent out by all DLNA devices on joining a network.

I had a similar problem when I had my server on 192.168.1.xxx and my PS3 on 192.168.2.xxx, because my cheap Linksys router wouldn't allow routing of multicast packets. I ended up putting my PS3 on the same subnet, but you could try sorting out the routing if you hav the stomach for it. :?
WorldOfHurt

Return to General Discussion