PMS can see PS3, but PS3 can't see it back!?!

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

PMS can see PS3, but PS3 can't see it back!?!

Postby dsuchter » Thu Apr 23, 2009 4:21 am

I've got a PS3 running the 2.70 firmware plugged into my network with a wire. Also wired in is a Vista x64 machine running PMS 1.10.51 and a Fedora 10 host running the same version. I watched two movies last night, one off the Windows box and one off the Linux box. Everything worked just fine.

I just returned home form work, all computers are still on (literally nobody has been here to touch or change anything since I watched the last movie), but now the PS3 can't see either of my media servers. The PS3 is also intermittantly giving me partial failures when I run the Inet connection test (always a network connection, but sometimes UPnP is "unavailable" and often I get a message saying the PS3 network is not around, and about half the time the nat-type is unknown).

The really weird part is that my PMS process on both hosts can see the PS3, but the PS3 can't find any servers when it searches.

What the heck is going on?
dsuchter

Re: PMS can see PS3, but PS3 can't see it back!?!

Postby jefter » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:00 am

This might be a bit of an obvious, but have you tried turning everything off and then restarting your computers and your PS3?
Also click "Restart HTTP Server" once everyhting is connected and up and running...
jefter

Postby dsuchter » Fri Apr 24, 2009 6:22 am

jefter wrote:This might be a bit of an obvious, but have you tried turning everything off and then restarting your computers and your PS3?
Also click "Restart HTTP Server" once everyhting is connected and up and running...

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I have tried quite a few permutations of rebooting my computers and the PS3 - none of those solved the problem.
dsuchter

Postby meskibob » Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:01 pm

Try forcing the Network Interface in the PMS settings. Also, is your PC's firewall setup to accept incoming requests from the PS3?
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby dsuchter » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:20 pm

meskibob wrote:Try forcing the Network Interface in the PMS settings. Also, is your PC's firewall setup to accept incoming requests from the PS3?

I'll try the first suggestion next time it exhibits the symptoms. I couldn't get it to work that night so I went to work again. When I came home, things were fine again. Weird...

Also, all these devices are hooked up on my LAN and I have firewalls removed completely (I don't use software firewalls on computers if I can help it).
dsuchter

Return to General Discussion