No longer in development?

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

No longer in development?

Postby Mkilbride » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:38 pm

Been a year since an update, and many bugs remain, and the phasing out of Mencoder has not happened. is there an alternate? I still have many issues with PS3 Media server and it seems there's no longer development.
Mkilbride

Re: No longer in development?

Postby mazey » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:13 am

im using the latest snapshot it runs great, i bumped ffmpeg ahead of mencoder and i update ffmpeg regularly from http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ basically all the devs need to do is release 1.90.2 as is but even better give mencoder/ffmpeg/mediainfo and java another update but its not really as needed as they got a update during the 1.90.2 snapshot phase to newer ones. maybe chocalateboy or another dev could release either 1.90.2 as is or update the win32 transcode tools and mediainfo and java and release it. this would be great.
mazey

Postby kev199379 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:23 am

I can give some pointers to get it updated by doing it yourself. I have 1.90.1 release and was having issues with win32 from crashing while browsing on the ps3.
I use mencoder and sometimes ffmpeg, What I did was go to there website and download the latest update. After you downloaded the rar file, open it and extract
mencoder.exe and mplayer.exe to your desktop. Then go to program files and find the ps3 media server folder, open the folder and look for win32 folder within.
Once you have that open, drag and drop those 2 files that you copied onto your desktop and it will prompt you to move and replace, click ok. You would do the same
thing for ffmpeg.exe and any other encoders. Your Done now go test to see if its working.

If you need the websites for the encoders look for file builds.txt within win32 folder.

Hope this helps anyone having the issues I was having.
kev199379

Postby scotster » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:05 pm

Is 1.90.2 available to download?
scotster

Postby mazey » Sat Sep 27, 2014 12:33 am

scotster wrote:Is 1.90.2 available to download?

you need to compile it yourself you can use this tool to do it though :)

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4449
mazey

Postby FerdiV » Sun Nov 02, 2014 8:45 am

I think I have to drop PMS. I am having problems on my both Macs and no know seems to fix. No new version is coming out either.
FerdiV

Postby ExSport » Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:46 pm

You should try searching for alternatives to PMS. One is "successor" to PMS with similar name but you should try find it yourself.
Not sure if development is abandoned here or not...so don't want to possibly break forum rules.
Edit: I found post from taconaut which mentioned development seems to be closed :?
So to have a better DLNA server you should try UMS (clone of PMS with fixed bugs, added new features etc.)
More users, less bugs, better user experience.
ExSport

Postby BRIBOT » Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:54 pm

Yes Universal Media Server works without flaws. If you do have flaws, then it's something else not the media sever. I've been using literally for at least ten years maybe more, and it's always worked great. When i did have issues, it was because of something else related, and not the ums. Good luck!

*I was really excited to see someone working on a new media server, but without continued updates for bug fixes, it seems pointless to get into something that will never be a sound application. Sony actually created their own media server application the first few years of the PS3 release, but soon realizing this was a bad idea since they make movies, they pulled all the software from bestbuy and other retail stores that were selling and giving it away for free. I may still have a copy of this application floating around somewhere.
BRIBOT

Postby xbt » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:57 am

ExSport wrote:You should try searching for alternatives to PMS. One is "successor" to PMS with similar name but you should try find it yourself.
Not sure if development is abandoned here or not...so don't want to possibly break forum rules.
Edit: I found post from taconaut which mentioned development seems to be closed :?
So to have a better DLNA server you should try UMS (clone of PMS with fixed bugs, added new features etc.)
More users, less bugs, better user experience.

Hey, thanks for this, I will try it; although my PS3 Media Server still works perfect for my purposes.

UPDATE: I've been using PS3 Media Server for years, but WOW man UMS is actually excellent! It is basically exactly the same but with an improved GUI and also with many additional options! So cool! Very happy I decided to read this thread!

In a quick test, after setting up all the configurations, it is very speedy, and everything works! I will come back at some point if I encounter any issues, but UMS seems to be the correct replacement for PMS now that PMS development has ended.

Thanks again! :)

p.s. This is coming from a die-hard PMS fan :PThing is, UMS is exactly the same, a completed clone, just with bugfixes, improved GUI, and additional options :)

UPDATE: I tried UMS but after a few days I switched back to PMS because UMS seemed buggy and slow. There are additional features but those are under developed and buggy and cause the whole server to be more slow. I found PMS to be more stable, although I heard PMS doesn't work well for PS4. For PS3 I would prefer to use PMS.
xbt

Return to General Discussion