How to confirm that PS3 is outputting DTS HD MA to reciever?

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

How to confirm that PS3 is outputting DTS HD MA to reciever?

Postby skyfall117 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:49 pm

So I downloaded a movie from Public HD which has a DTS HD MA audio codec. The video file is in MKV form. I used PS3 Media Server to transfer the file to my PS3. My reciever shows PCM so i'm assuming that it's playing DTSHDMA, however, when I look at the video info on my PS3 it says that the audio codec is Dolby Digital 640Kbps. I copied the original video file not the ones in the #TRANSCODE# folder. What do I do?
skyfall117

Re: How to confirm that PS3 is outputting DTS HD MA to recie

Postby skyfall117 » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:03 pm

I tried switching up the audio codecs of the same file. No matter what format its in, DTS , AC3 , etc.. it always shows up as Dolby Digital. However, DTS shows as 640 Kbps, and AC3 shows as 448 kbps. Clearly i'm not getting loseless audio, even if the audio codec appears to be DTS HD MA.
skyfall117

Re: How to confirm that PS3 is outputting DTS HD MA to recie

Postby ExSport » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:01 pm

MEncoder doesn't support DTS HD MA, it can extract DTS core only. If you don't have DTS enabled then it is transcoded to AC3(Dolby Digital 5.1, by default in 640Kbits quality)
PS3 doesn't support DTS HD MA passthrough on fat PS3 and what I remember it is supported on slim PS3 only in case it is played from BluRay media and not from DLAN/UPnP.
Anyway DTS-HD MA decoder doesn't exist in MEncoder so only core can be extracted. Because of that PMS transcodes audio to AC3 from DTS core (if DTS is enabled in PMS GUI, you should see PCM 2.0 on PS3 and DTS core on external receiver)
ExSport

Return to General Discussion