Good Idea? A "Random" feature...

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Good Idea? A "Random" feature...

Postby skeety » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:19 pm

So I'm not sure if developer's are "taking ideas"...but I have one.

I have over 600+ movies on my server with 10+Tb of disk space...and in trying to show my GF how to use the PSM on the PS3...she had a good question. one that has kind of crossed my mind a few times, and I've heard a few more since then.

It would be really neat if PSM could show random movies from one's collection. Maybe, like it creates the transcode folder, maybe it could create a "I'm feeling lucky" folder, and in it would be 10 randomly chosen movies from the library directories.

Here's why.

TV is great because sometimes, you want to watch TV...but you dont' really know what...so you browse. you browse the guide until something catches your eye "Oh. I haven't seen that in a while, and I love that movie".

You're in the mood for a movie, but you're not really sure what.

With PSM, If you only have a few movies, sure..just look through and pick one.

But I'm sure I'm not the only one using this that has movies in the hundreds. I can't always think of exactly what I want to watch...I think a random sampling would be a really nice feature that might separate PSM from the rest. :)

BONUS:

And if THAT gets good feedback, you could even take it a step further...and randomly pick from a genre

Sometimes, you're in the mood for a comedy...but not sure what. Or I really had a brain-draining day...I just want something simple and uninvolved. Give me a choice of Action movies...

etc.

Thoughts?
skeety

Return to General Discussion