Question to samsung/other TV users

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Question to samsung/other TV users

Postby dmitche3 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:40 pm

I want to throw out a question to people who are using PMS on their Samsungs and other TVs and NOT PS3s. As this program is fairly complex with multiple targets I'm trying to figure out what is working and what may be broken after spending a day with PMS and a debugger, I'm not left with a warm fuzzy feeling about things like subtitles using SRT files and thumbnails at all. :(

1. Do subtitles using .srt files work without transcoding? Without transcoding?

2. Do you generate thumbnails via PMS and do they properly display on your TV (renderer)?

3. Does transcoding work? If so, which transcoder do you use?

Thanks in advance for any feedback as these do not work for me.

Platform: Windows 7, Java 7, Samsung ES and EH models, AMD Quad core, 8GB memory, Radeon 7970
dmitche3

Re: Question to samsung/other TV users

Postby dmitche3 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:05 am

Well, I guess that I got the answer. First let me state that I did not post this as flame bait, but I wanted to find out a few things. I got an answer.
First, there are few if any people using this project or working on it since there was not a single response.
Second, after running through the code for a few days I have to say that it is a mess. I don't like to criticize other's work. I understand that why the code is the way it is. The projected started out for a PS3 and later more functionality was added. During that time there was a lot of learning as they went. I understand as I've created messes like this myself in the past before I would do a complete rewrite.

There is a lot of work put into the project and I'm going to be spending a lot of time looking it over and see if I want to help out. As the current code lacks any complexity analysis/review and needs extensive refactoring of the code, if I find my interest it kept long enough I may submit my results.

So, thanks again for all of your hard work and again. I hope that my criticism will be viewed as constructive.
dmitche3

Return to Alternative Media Renderers