Install on Asus Router (Tomato Firmware)

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Install on Asus Router (Tomato Firmware)

Postby ewanko08 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:09 am

I'm thinking of buying Asus RT-N66U and install Tomato Firmware in it. I want to connect my USB External HDD to that router and have it as a media server. Can I install PS3 Media Server on the router? Is there an optware available?

I just recently got a Sony Bravia HDTV and it's not able to play my videos in HDD through DLNA. So far, the only solution I found was to setup PS3 Media Server on any server and play files through there.
ewanko08

Re: Install on Asus Router (Tomato Firmware)

Postby meskibob » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:44 pm

I highly doubt you'll be able to get a working java install, let alone have the resources to stream content or be able to install the other dependencies. And there is no way you will be able to remux or transcode.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Re: Install on Asus Router (Tomato Firmware)

Postby ewanko08 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:15 pm

Thanks. What would you be your suggestion. It seems like even streaming from my laptop with our old router from verizon is very slow. It's either with the TV or directly streaming from my Sony Bravia (KDL46EX640) is the problem.

You think I should buy a media player like WDTV?

By the way, I have 2 Sony Bravias in different room, if I buy a media player like WDTV, does it mean I need to buy 2 for both TV's? Is it possible to buy a media player that is capable of acting as a wireless media server and stream from that to the TV?
ewanko08

Return to General Discussion