New guy here -- couple of questions on use ..

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

New guy here -- couple of questions on use ..

Postby GCS » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:05 pm

I was sent to this site thanks to member on another forum. Looks like a great program but I have some simple questions I hope you guys can answer.

Currently in the house we have a DVD player with every TV and have to load the DVDs and play etc.

Each room with a TV in it has either a PS3 or an XBOX 360 (1 PS3, 3 360s). What I would love to do is set up a main storage device with all of our ripped DVDs and have it available to all of these rooms for playback.

Can I do this with the PS3s and 360s (i.e. no computers in the other rooms) and still have it be simple to use?

Do you notice any loss in audio/video quality with the ripped movies (assuming you guys are compressing them some to save space on your server)? I would want the best quality I could get at least in the main family room which is a FP system on a 110" screen. The rest are all 32" - 37" LCDs.

There is potential that up to 3 rooms would want to be streaming a movie from the server at the same time.

Thanks in advance for any info you guys would care to share

Greg
GCS

Re: New guy here -- couple of questions on use ..

Postby costanza13 » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:01 am

Sorry i have no information for you but i am basicly trying the same thing. I have both ps3 and xbox 360 on same network on different tv's. Would like to have a central location with all the video and be able to play at any location. Was hoping to find some way to do this without converting files and all that.

same as above thanks for any info that can be given.
costanza13

Re: New guy here -- couple of questions on use ..

Postby ratatoskr » Sun Apr 05, 2009 5:22 pm

You need a computer or a NAS as a "server".

Then I would use PMS to stream media to PS3 and Xbox. (works with v1.10.1 or higer)
Ubuntu 8.10 | PMS 1.10.5 | Core2Duo E5200 |
ratatoskr

Return to General Discussion