I'm working on iTunes support

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

I'm working on iTunes support

Postby sean.st » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:34 am

To the project contributors, thanks for making a great open source media server! I'm currently working on adding support for iTunes playlists (for my own use), and am wondering if that is something you would be interested in seeing contributed back to the project. My plan is that when enabled, iTunes could show up as a separate folder under the root. Selecting it will show the user's iTunes layout, with Playlists, Artists, Songs, etc. Anyway, thanks again for a great project.
sean.st

Re: I'm working on iTunes support

Postby unabatedshagie » Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:31 pm

I would be interested, it would be great to be able to listen and watch my podcasts through PS3MS and have the playcount etc updated on itunes.
unabatedshagie

Postby whome » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:16 pm

Sounds interesting, something like I have in a spare time. What we need is a better 3rd party plugin system for video/audiofeed sources. Current one is a rather hack (acknowledged by ps3ms main developer :-), very fixed non-flexible pipeline.

I have done few thoughts about it, but still haven't created a hacked version to be a proof-of-concept. My 3rd party conversion is an external webapp in Tomcat service. Biggest problems:
* you must run separate application service (tomcat, jetty) instead of all running in a single JVM instance
* you cannot create a two-way url resolving at runtime. I must parse all internal video links in one go so makes slower to output an initial rss document
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=666
whome

Postby sean.st » Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:42 am

I think a Tomcat web app would be a little overkill for what I'm trying to do. :) I don't want to handle actual streaming of the music, just create a new folder system that gets automatically updated when I update my iTunes library. Anyway, I managed to get an initial version working last night. I've attached a SVN patch if anyone is interested in using it. Just apply it to your working copy, then put "useitunes=true" in your PMS.conf file. Also, if you don't keep your iTunes folder in <user.home>/Music/iTunes, it doesn't find your itunes library folder automatically and you'll have to show it where it is by setting "ituneslibrarypath=/path/to/itunes/folder".

Most of the work went into parsing the iTunes library xml file, as it is a bit of an odd format. There are a lot of improvements to be made still. For instance, put the configuration in the GUI instead of by properties only. Also, lazily generate the whole virtual folder structure as needed to reduce memory usage. My library of about 30 playlists and 3000 tracks takes up an extra 25mb of RAM when the server loads up due to having the whole structure in place. I may get to improving this some more later this week.

Ok, well the forum won't let me attach .patch or .txt to this post. So I'm not sure how to get the file up here.
sean.st

Postby unabatedshagie » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:41 am

Does it just read the itunes library or can it update playcount info also?
unabatedshagie

Postby sean.st » Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:02 am

It doesn't update playcount... read only on the library for now. It could probably write back to the file but I don't know what the implications of that would be if iTunes were running at the same time.
sean.st

Postby Redlum » Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:17 am

You can mail the patch to me (robin@exonet.nl) and I'll have a look :)
Redlum
Project Member

Postby daanv » Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:43 pm

I have a couple of questions and remarks about iTunes support. I would love it if you could actually make it work, it would make my media center experience awesome!

Would you be able to add the video playlists (specifically the movie and tv-shows parts of the library) to the video section in the ps3 media server? Would it be possible to check for duplicate entries? I have both HD and SD versions of some movies and shows (SD syncs with iphone/ipod, HD plays on itunes/front row), and itunes automatically combines them into one entry with a HD-SD tag next to it. They are two serepate files in their respective folders, the SD version just has the name of the movie, and the HD version has the same name but with "(HD)" at the end. The way pms works now is it lists both the files, as it should, but you can imagine how that might be annoying. So I'm thinking it shouldn't be too hard to check for the tag in itunes and select the appropriate file based upon that?
The final question I have is weither or not it would be possible to watch from where you left off in itunes/ipod. iTunes saves this data to the xml or the file itself (i'm unsure, but it saves it anyway) and since psm also has this ability (I noticed it can restart at the place you left off in one session) I'm thinking it would be possible to also send that data to the psm (it would still leave the option to watch from the start)? I'm aware that it probably won't work the other way around (watching on the pc from where you left off on p3), but it would still be amazing to be able to do it the other way round.

would it be possible to join the tv-shows by show and then make a sub-division by season in a playlist? because the way itunes handles the folders for tvshows is kinda sad (they're all just in one folder per show, so ep 1 from season 1 and season 2 both just start with "01 episode title").

number 1 & 2 would be amazing, the third would be neat but not that necessary! I'd like to hear your input on these ideas.
daanv

Postby IT_Monkey » Fri May 01, 2009 4:45 am

The ability to use my iTunes playlist would complete my media center experience as well as many others. Is it possible to just forward itunes playlist.xml to PMS and then forward that to the PS3? I would be interested in doing some beta testing for you. Here's the system i'm working with:

CPU 2 x Xeon X5355
Motherboard Supermicro X7DCA-3
Memory 4 x 1GB DDR2 ECC PC5300 (8GB)
Graphics Card Radeon X1300
Hard Drive 6 x 250gb Seagate Barracuad Sata RAID-5 Power Supply
IT_Monkey

Return to General Discussion