Stream Itunes 'output' to PS3 (keep iphone as remote)

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Stream Itunes 'output' to PS3 (keep iphone as remote)

Postby ImportSport » Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:07 pm

I'm successfully streaming media to my PS3. I have no trouble with conversion, archiving, playing aac, etc.

What I am looking for is the ability to stream the output from itunes to the PS3. This would allow my wife to use her iphone to control the music and listen to it through the stereo.

I realize I'm picking at straws here and we can already listen to the music, but using the phone as a remote that views all of the itunes content is very useful especially for my wife who doesn't want anything to do with the PS3 controller or interface.

I have one solution where I can stream live audio from the host PC and have Tversity route that stream to the Playstation. I'm not thrilled with this as the audio is compressed for the stream and I would prefer not to have another program streaming in the background.

Any thoughts? Is there a way to grab the itunes audio output directly with a solution such as PS3 Media Server?

Thanks in advance.
ImportSport

Re: Stream Itunes 'output' to PS3 (keep iphone as remote)

Postby nayr » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:40 pm

AirFoil can grab music from itunes and re-route it to VLC... so yea in theory it might be able to be done.
http://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

I do admit it would be kinda cool to use PS3 as an Airfoil speaker..
nayr

Postby ImportSport » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:02 am

Thanks I'll look into this as an options :)
ImportSport

Postby ImportSport » Sun Jan 25, 2009 4:56 pm

I've looked at Airfoil and it's what I am looking for but requires a sister program on the receiving PC. Is there any way to find the address it's using and enter it as a radio station in PS3 media server?
ImportSport

Postby yellowmatter » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:05 am

I'm also looking to do this. Currently i use PMS to listen on my hifi through ps3, but i would love to be able to control from my pc what im listening to.
yellowmatter

Return to General Discussion