The best program to convert a mkv to mpeg

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

The best program to convert a mkv to mpeg

Postby lowtje » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:22 pm

Hi,

I would like to know what the best program for converting mkv-mpeg is. I want to know this because I want to copy my 1080p movies (with subs) to my ps3 (because my laptop is to slow to stream I guess) and when I copy a mkv through PMS it takes like forever. Hope someone can help me out!
lowtje

Re: The best program to convert a mkv to mpeg

Postby Val Killmore » Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:33 pm

You can use MKV2VOB if you like, but be warned that adding subs will require transcode of the video, regardless of the program used (either with PMS, or external software).

The better the quality expected from MKV2VOB, the longer the 'conversion' will take.
Val Killmore: Potato Chip Assassin
SubJunk53--Java 7u4--Acer Aspire 6930 2CoreDuo @ 2.00 GHz 3.00 GB RAM serving to : PS3 Slim -- 2 Xbox360
Val Killmore

Postby owhiso26 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:39 pm

MKV2VOB works well for me. I use it with VMWare running Windows under OS X.

Using Quicktime Pro, Perian, and Subler, you can also convert directly under OS X. A detailed tutorial is kindly provided here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnhVcJElPoI

With either method, total time for converting a 1.5 - 2GB 720p file is < 10 mins. for a high quality result.

BTW, since installing PMS3 v1.4, my MKVs are streaming very nicely across a wireless connection. The only drawback I've found vs. MPG is that with the MKV rewind/fast forward does not work very well at all.
owhiso26

Postby turbozmike » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:33 am

I can stream anything with 1.3 across a really crappy wireless router.
I bumped my post about the settings I use if you want to try it out.

Also great programs for fixing container issues and re-encoding - check em out.
GOTsent - it changes the mkv container to avi. I have run across some mkv that ps3mediaserver call corrupt and this fixes them in like 10 seconds.

Handbrake - pretty nice encoding program that doesn't require much screwing around with to get good results.
turbozmike

Postby zetski210 » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:16 pm

I've been using tsMuxeR to convert to .m2ts for ages. Only drawback is that DTS audio won't play. In this case, you can use eAC3to to convert to 640 kbps AC3 (you won't notice any difference in audio quality) or to PCM then use pcm2Tsmu to get tsMuxeR to accept it.
zetski210

Return to General Discussion