Has PMS become worse?

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Has PMS become worse?

Postby Viking » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:31 am

I've used PMS for a long time now, and while I try not to be frustrated and shout, my user experience has only gotten worse lately.
Before, I could throw anything at it, and it would play on the PS3 immediately. MKVs, AVIs, FLVs, you name it. But lately, it has given me a lot of errors, crashes, and troubles in general. I don't know if it's only me who is experiencing this, but I feel like the newer version I get, the worse it gets.

AVIs that would previously play without any problems will now suddenly not play at all, or without audio. MKVs plays fine for some seconds, and then it skips seconds/minutes ahead, or just freeze and stops. When I try to play the file again, it just gives me an error. I then have to restart PMS and the PS3 before the file will play again, and then it's no problems at all. These are all problems I did not experience before, and I do not believe it's the movie files' fault. When some fail, they either won't play at all through PMS, or they'll just need an restart, and then they'll play fine. And every file plays perfectly on my computer. And when I'm done watching something, the PS3 is turned off, PMS is still holding on to those 800mb of memory.

My computer has only gotten better over the years, but as I have updated the PMS software, it has only gotten shitier.
When I have downloaded the latest episode of my favorite series, I have to choose whether or not to watch it on the TV, because I simply don't trust PMS anymore. And nothing is worse than having PMS fuck up at the most tense moment of a movie or an episode of Breaking Bad.

My question is, am I the only one experiencing this?
PMS was working flawlessly earlier, but to my experience, it has only gotten worse. I am seriously considering purchasing an AppleTV or a Boxee to replace the PS3 as a media streaming device, because with the troubles PMS is currently giving me, it's not worth it.
Viking

Re: Has PMS become worse?

Postby chocolateboy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:53 am

All of the old versions are still available:

http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver ... nloadCount

No-one's stopping you or anyone else from using them, another media server or another streamer.

Thread locked.
chocolateboy
Project Member

Return to General Discussion