Control with Computer?

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Control with Computer?

Postby Vexir » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:44 am

I'm sure this topic has been asked several times but you'll have to forgive me because searching didn't yield anything for me. Is it possible to control PS3 Media Server with my computer? It's very tedious to do it through the PS3's menu system.

Vexir
Vexir

Re: Control with Computer?

Postby Val Killmore » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:59 am

What do you mean control PMS with your computer? If you want to view media with a computer, rather than a PS3, then you can use XBMC and do it that way.

If you mean change/augment settings.........you can already do that. Just go to your computer, adjust the settings.

There are a few settings you can adjust via the PS3 menu, but you can also adjust those same settings AT your computer.

Please clarify.
Val Killmore: Potato Chip Assassin
SubJunk53--Java 7u4--Acer Aspire 6930 2CoreDuo @ 2.00 GHz 3.00 GB RAM serving to : PS3 Slim -- 2 Xbox360
Val Killmore

Postby Vexir » Mon Sep 19, 2011 7:44 pm

For clarification then, I'm on OSX and I'd like to be able to stream music from my laptop to my PS3. I found PS3 Media Server as a solution to this, but I find the PS3's interface too cumbersome. An ideal solution would be to select what song I'd like to play (or playlist) from my computer itself, so my choices were only a few mouseclicks away as opposed to fooling around with a controller.
Vexir

Postby Val Killmore » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:11 pm

Hmmmm.

Not too sure if that is possible because of DLNA. Could be wrong though.
SubJunk53--Java 7u4--Acer Aspire 6930 2CoreDuo @ 2.00 GHz 3.00 GB RAM serving to : PS3 Slim -- 2 Xbox360
Val Killmore

Postby Vexir » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:21 pm

It would just make things a lot more convenient.
Vexir

Postby Val Killmore » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:34 pm

Vexir wrote:It would just make things a lot more convenient.

LOL.......no doubt. Kinda would like this feature myself, at least for the music.

How's this for convenient though? A way for ALL smartphone users to control their entire A/V entertainment setup, INCLUDING their PS3. I have an idea, that I haven't seen proposed yet. Gonna talk to a lawyer soon.
Val Killmore

Postby Vexir » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:16 pm

I've thought about that as well. In fact that was partly why I was hoping the PS3 could be controlled with iTunes. All you would have to do is use the Remote app on your iPhone and boom.
Vexir

Postby Val Killmore » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:26 pm

Yeah it would be sweet.

In fact using my droid to control the mouse and keyboard as I type this. If I could find or design this product, I could do eveything in my network with it. What I can do right now is pretty amazing, but a full av controller would top it all.

Sorry to get off topic. Hopefully someone proves me wrong about your question
Val Killmore

Postby AndyV » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:38 pm

If I understand this topic...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Li ... k_Alliance

Specification

The DLNA Certified Device Classes are separated as follows:[7]

Home Network Devices:

Digital Media Server (DMS): These devices store content and make it available to networked digital media players (DMP) and digital media renderers (DMR). Examples include PCs and network-attached storage (NAS) devices.
Digital Media Player (DMP): These devices find content on digital media servers (DMS) and provide playback and rendering capabilities. Examples include TVs, stereos and home theaters, wireless monitors and game consoles.
Digital Media Renderer (DMR): These devices play content received from a digital media controller (DMC), which will find content from a digital media server (DMS). Examples include TVs, audio/video receivers, video displays and remote speakers for music.
Digital Media Controller (DMC): These devices find content on digital media servers (DMS) and play it on digital media renderers (DMR). Examples include Internet tablets, Wi-Fi enabled digital cameras and personal digital assistants (PDAs).
Digital Media Printer (DMPr): These devices provide printing services to the DLNA home network. Generally, digital media players (DMP) and digital media controllers (DMC) with print capability can print to DMPr. Examples include networked photo printers and networked all-in-one printers

For example Windows Media Player is able to work as Digital Media Controller.
AndyV

Postby lightglitch » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:08 pm

In this case PS3 is a Digital Media Controller and a Digital Media Renderer at the same time, the problem is that I don't think PS3 allow some DMC to controll it.

This (or something similar) is what you wanted to do with ps3:
http://teleal.org/articles/MediaRenderer%20demo.html
lightglitch a.k.a Mário Franco
lightglitch
Project Member

Next

Return to General Discussion