AirPlay and PS3 Media Server

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

AirPlay and PS3 Media Server

Postby Chimpanzee » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:40 pm

Hi. I'm trying to find a way to stream content from my iPhone to my TV without having to use Apple TV. What I was thinking might be possible is to turn my PC/Mac into an AirPlay receiver then take the video feed from that and stream it back through PS3 Media Server to my PS3.

I've found AirServer which allows you to stream content from an iDevice to a Mac. What I assume is that AirServer is just displaying a streaming video, Now, does anyone know of a way that I could take the video feed from AirServer and stream it via PS3 Media Server? Then I could just select 'AirServer' (or whatever) from PMS on my PS3 and view the feed.

Anyone have any ideas of how this could be achieved? Would be much appreciated.
Chimpanzee

Re: AirPlay and PS3 Media Server

Postby QuadraQ » Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:50 am

I'm wondering if it would be possible to send media from my PS3 media server to my Apple TV via airplay. Anyone know if airplay has been reverse engineered yet?
QuadraQ

Postby QuadraQ » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:00 pm

I agree that it's frustrating that Apple makes proprietary standards. On the other hand in my experience, DLNA is a complete disaster, while airplay "just works". Hopefully DLNA will get better, and apple will add support for it, so everyone is happy.
QuadraQ

Postby happy.neko » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:05 pm

QuadraQ wrote:I agree that it's frustrating that Apple makes proprietary standards. On the other hand in my experience, DLNA is a complete disaster, while airplay "just works". Hopefully DLNA will get better, and apple will add support for it, so everyone is happy.

What do you mean by complete disaster? It works really well and supported by countless devices (especially TVs). Finally the darks days of SMB shares, FTP servers, NFS, proprietary protocols and other ugly workarounds are in the past.
happy.neko
Project Member

Postby QuadraQ » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:19 pm

happy.neko wrote:
QuadraQ wrote:I agree that it's frustrating that Apple makes proprietary standards. On the other hand in my experience, DLNA is a complete disaster, while airplay "just works". Hopefully DLNA will get better, and apple will add support for it, so everyone is happy.

What do you mean by complete disaster? It works really well and supported by countless devices (especially TVs). Finally the darks days of SMB shares, FTP servers, NFS, proprietary protocols and other ugly workarounds are in the past.

That has not been my experience. I'm sure it's getting better, but for me DLNA has proven very unreliable with compatibility issues, of all sorts. I would like it to be 100% reliable, but I've found it be more frustrating than usable.
QuadraQ

Return to General Discussion