MKV2vob or PS3Mediaserver

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

MKV2vob or PS3Mediaserver

Postby Bigmonty » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:54 am

Hi

I am new PS3mediaserver so go easy on me, however I am a veteran of using MKV2vob.

Just a simple question, I have mainly remuxed (with the odd transcode) all of my Mkvs using Mkv2vob over the last year or so and am generally happy with the quality. What are the advantages od ditching this methond and using PS3mediaserver to do it all on the fly. I see the advantage of doing it on the fly for the odd one or two mkvs that require transcoding but I do not see the advantage for the ones that just require remuxing? I am assuming there is no quality difference??

Thanks in advance.
Bigmonty

Re: MKV2vob or PS3Mediaserver

Postby Audioboxer » Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:43 am

The biggest pro is you get left with untouched MKV files on your PC while MKV2VOB changes are permanent - The output files can sometimes have issues playing back on your PC. Especially if you do the DTS trick, you'll get no audio from your video files through your PC at all.

Obviously if you're copying to an external hard drive or the PS3 hard drive MKV2VOB is the way to go, but for streaming it's much simpler just using PS3MS for most things. For transcoding I would recommend waiting out the lengthy process to transcode with x264 and MKV2VOB if you have a decent PC. PS3MS IIRC uses MPEG2 for quick transcoding which will equal slightly more quality loss.
Audioboxer

Postby dr.eshta » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:16 am

The one thing I have noticed is that mkv2vob clips my Dolby Digital 5.1 bit rate down to about 488 kbps where the PS3MS keeps it up around 655 kbps. The only real effect is that the audio is slightly louder with the PS3MS. My $0.02
dr.eshta

Postby Audioboxer » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:56 am

dr.eshta wrote:The one thing I have noticed is that mkv2vob clips my Dolby Digital 5.1 bit rate down to about 488 kbps where the PS3MS keeps it up around 655 kbps. The only real effect is that the audio is slightly louder with the PS3MS. My $0.02

You must have "Use 448kbps AC3" ticked under configuration.

Reason there is that option is some old receivers seem to struggle with 640.
Audioboxer

Postby relayer35 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:47 pm

I was using mkv2vob, but was keeping copies of the mkv's as well. That meant in actuality I was storing the same stuff three times (2 copies of the mkv, one for backup, and the version to play on the PS3). With the latest release of mkv2vob that can automatically select between mencoder and tsmuxer, I decided to use PMS exclusively, and ditch my special PS3 versions. This saved me 200gb of disk space!!!!! Also, with mkv2vob you could only keep one audio track, whereas the mkv's can store multiple audio tracks.

However, there are some minor issues. FF and REW don't seem to work at all for me, but using the "Go To" works. Also, it takes a few seconds longer to start playback. I also found that I used to get lip sync issues sometimes with mkv2vob output when I created the mkv's myself using Handbrake, but I don't seem to have that issue with PMS.
relayer35

Postby bigger_swede » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:18 pm

MKV2VOB was the ruler of converting MKV material for the PS3. Now when PS3MS has the function to stream MKV with both subs and DTS sound (different audio tracks and language also!!!) it simply make MKV2VOB useless. MKV2VOB was very timeconsuming, download, extract mkv, convert mkv split filesize, loose subs and audiotrack. Also after converting you need to copy to an fat32 harddrive, many split files per movie. PS3MS can play an mkv movie directly from the RAR(!) archive. This I can do when using LAN cabel not over wireless.

I think that the creator of MKV2VOB has made a good effort in to that program and I have been using it exclusivly over the last year. However recent movies I needed to transcode using MKV2VOB (1080p 9gb takes about 2 hours on my 3GHZ DUALCORE) but when using PS3MS I could directly stream the same movies. Talk about time saving. With thumbails it also rocks to enter your "BLURAY" folder and see the covers... nice...

I only wish I would haVe the time to re-download ALL movies and keep DTS track, subs etc but hey no dice. Thanks so much for the PS3MS.
bigger_swede

Return to General Discussion