Hard Wired or Wireless???

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Hard Wired or Wireless???

Postby meztizo_kid » Thu May 19, 2011 3:11 am

Hello All,

I've had PMS for a while, but was thinking to myself that there is probably an update since the first/last time I downloaded and installed, and sure enough there was!

I found this forum earlier today, and am loving it along with the FAQ section.

Overall though, I wanted to get peoples opinions on their current setup. My previous setup was wireless g connections to my router by both my PC and my PS3. I would tend to get buffering issues with my older version of PMS, and am hoping that the development has progressed on that field of things. But either way, what is your preferred method for connecting your console(s) to the PC for your best results?

I know there are a ton of factors involved with the performance of the video streaming, but I hope this general discussion thread will allow those of us here to share their experiences and provide assistance for those who are a bit newer to the PMS world! Thanks all and I'm looking forward to reading your replies!

-MK
meztizo_kid

Re: Hard Wired or Wireless???

Postby meztizo_kid » Thu May 19, 2011 9:12 pm

Guess this product works so well, that unless it's a technical issue... people don't care to talk on it as a dicussion... Ohh well... Would still love to see some responses, but if not all good... Take it easy all
meztizo_kid

Postby Val Killmore » Fri May 20, 2011 1:34 am

There's LOTS of documentation in both help request posts and written instructions in the tutorial stating the advantages of going wired. Perhaps people feel like it is a non-topic due to the obvious answer.
Val Killmore: Potato Chip Assassin
SubJunk53--Java 7u4--Acer Aspire 6930 2CoreDuo @ 2.00 GHz 3.00 GB RAM serving to : PS3 Slim -- 2 Xbox360
Val Killmore

Postby FermentalCase » Tue May 24, 2011 7:21 pm

I used the wireless connection at first but had a few skipping type issues. I was just not interested in running a wire intil I gave the wireless a try. It was setup with all PMS and PS3 defaults. I recently had an erge to try a bigger file type. Up until then the biggest was 2gb. I then ripped a 10gb copy of a BD movie and tried it, wow it sucked (no changes from default still). After running wire cat5e, and swapped in a gigabit network card in the server, I now NEVER see a skip even on the 10gb movie I have (still all PMS & PS3 defaults).
I recomend the wired connection for movie streaming, I dont game online or stream Netflix so that has not been tested.. My 2 Cents.. :D
PMS 1.50
PS3 3.5
FermentalCase

Postby Val Killmore » Tue May 24, 2011 11:37 pm

The wireless NIC of the PS3 is crap. Plain and simple. Sony really dropped the ball on that one. :?

And as the OP runs a double wireless setup (server/client both WiFi to the router), I wish him luck in even streaming the most basic of formats.

I even notice lag/packet drop issues when running the PS3 wireless for online gaming (ever so slight, but it's there).
My timing is ALWAYS off when I game wirelessly. My timing rocks, and gaming is great when wired. And I don't think it's in my head, because I have tried several times, and it just doesn't feel right wireless. Maybe I am tripping but I prefer wired, specifically GB.

I have had no issues with NetFlix over my wireless N network as of yet. But I haven't actually used the PS3's wifi NIC for NetFlix yet. The only time it is wireless is "crossing the bridge" to my gear at the other end of the house from the router. NetFlix works fine "across the bridge" to the PS3 down there, which is wired to the DAP-1522

This end of house (DIR-655 N router) <------------- N bridge ------------> Other end of house (DAP-1522)

All devices involved with PMS, and gaming on either end of the house, are connected to their respective networking device (DIR-655 and DAP-1522) with Cat5e or Cat6 ethernet cables. The only wireless is "crossing the bridge" (and a couple "browsing" laptops), which stays steady at 130 Mbps, sometimes doubling....haven't figured that out yet, but steady 130 Mbps is plenty good for what I need.

Would I recommend going wired if possible, absolutely. Why limit yourself/network or have to sandbag your PC to squeeze the best qualities possible, in a wireless environment, to possibly the worst wifi NIC out there. The crappy little clip on wifi adapter of my 360 worked much better than the built in PS3's.
Val Killmore: Potato Chip Assassin
SubJunk53--Java 7u4--Acer Aspire 6930 2CoreDuo @ 2.00 GHz 3.00 GB RAM serving to : PS3 Slim -- 2 Xbox360
Val Killmore

Postby Madoka » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:52 pm

I agree with the above. I used wireless for about a year with PMS as my main router was upstairs but my PS3 and laptop that I use for streaming is downstairs. I tried everything suggested in the forums and did manage to get it to work for many shows, but there were files I knew that would stutter. One day, I was bored and wired my old wired-only router to the PS3 and laptop. Being cocky, I removed all limits and tried a file that never would work before on wireless...and it played flawlessly. With the new versions of PMS, I play over 90% of my files without problems.
Madoka

Postby stereosteveo » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:04 pm

Wired from day 1.
Never a problem.
stereosteveo

Return to General Discussion