PS3 Media Sever Name Change??

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

PS3 Media Sever Name Change??

Postby Xmantium » Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:05 pm

Its been said
Originally written to support the PlayStation 3, PS3 Media Server has been expanded to support a range of other media renderers, including smartphones, televisions, music players and more

Does that mean the word "PS3" should be taken out altogether and replaced with something else? :idea:

Theres been so much bad press with regards to Sony Vs Developer community, was wondering if the devs here looking into changing the name

I love this server over Twonky but much preferred the original Green Play button icon, now my wife thinks im streaming movies from the PS3 because it has a PS3 logo

Does anyone agree?
PMS Running on QNAP TS-639 Pro Linux Server, 1.2 DualCore Intel, 12TB RAID5 HDD
Xmantium

Re: PS3 Media Sever Name Change??

Postby Raptor399 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 11:27 pm

I partially agree with you, and since you make multiple points I'll break it down.

The name obviously no longer covers the range of devices supported, but what else would you suggest? DNLA Server? Meh...
The current name in short "PMS" sounds like a solid logical followup (bit of a tricky term in English speaking countries though).

As for the icon change to logo, I agree that was not a move for the better, at least not on the PS3.
The old icon may have been a boring green triangle that appeared everywhere as icon, but at least it stood out in the menu of the PS3.
Apart from that, the logo as seen on top of this page is reduced to a hardly recognizable grey rubble icon on my TV, so the "PS3 media server" engraved on the PlayStation that works nicely on computer displays cannot be seen or read on PS3, making it a generic image of a PS3.

And here is the strange thing... I _am_ browsing on my PS3. Why would there be an image of a PS3 in the menu of my PS3?
Does not make sense and makes things more confusing than strictly necessary.

The best thing would probably be to come up with a good and recognizable logo for PMS. But that would be ages of fighting over personal tastes.

So the next best thing: why not use the logo of the OS on your computer for an icon?
It would be clear where to look, since the OS logos are all bright and recognizable.
It also makes sense to look for your computer on your device ("On my PS3 I'm looking for my Mac... Hey, the blue smileyface! That must be it!").

And best of all: I have created an issue with a patch and ready-made images attached.

Enjoy!
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby grolschie » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:55 am

Xmantium wrote:Does that mean the word "PS3" should be taken out altogether and replaced with something else? :idea:

I think so. Because it supports many devices, that is.

Xmantium wrote:... but much preferred the original Green Play button icon...

Same here. Just my $0.02.
grolschie

Postby Xmantium » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:34 pm

I found a fix to change the name of the PMS without recompiling the whole source code http://www.ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=30#p39758
It works great!! :D

I think it may also work with icons too but not tried it yet.
I like the idea of using multiple icons dependent on the machine as i use Windows PC and Linux Server at the same time
I do hope the developers implement your patch
Xmantium

Postby Raptor399 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:26 am

It seems the from r560 on, it will be possible to use a custom icon.

Nice as that feature is, I think the change request is still valid: PMS should come out of the box with good, recognizable icons.
Raptor399
Project Member

Postby Xmantium » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:44 pm

Nice one, going to try this, I'm using sharkhunters build which looks very promising
Xmantium

Postby tylerr » Sat May 07, 2011 3:08 am

Don't think there is any need, everyone knows the program by that name, and changing the name will do absolutely nothing to benifit the program so it would be pointless, besides PS3 is the best media player out of all the supported ones anyway.
tylerr

Postby Xmantium » Mon May 09, 2011 7:22 am

I agree, some people prefer choice

One of the main reason to change names is when running PMS on different platforms
Xmantium

Postby marco275 » Mon May 09, 2011 10:21 am

I don't think it's an good idea, maybe there are people who don't like the name Windows 7 either but I don't think it's a priority for Mircrosoft to give them an option to change that.
I hope the developers of PMS don't make it an priority too but rather use their precious spare time for more impotant issues.
marco275

Postby squadjot » Tue May 24, 2011 1:40 am

Raptor399 wrote:The name obviously no longer covers the range of devices supported, but what else would you suggest? DNLA Server? Meh...
The current name in short "PMS" sounds like a solid logical followup (bit of a tricky term in English speaking countries though).

As for the icon change to logo, I agree that was not a move for the better, at least not on the PS3.
The old icon may have been a boring green triangle that appeared everywhere as icon, but at least it stood out in the menu of the PS3.
Apart from that, the logo as seen on top of this page is reduced to a hardly recognizable grey rubble icon on my TV, so the "PS3 media server" engraved on the PlayStation that works nicely on computer displays cannot be seen or read on PS3, making it a generic image of a PS3.

And here is the strange thing... I _am_ browsing on my PS3. Why would there be an image of a PS3 in the menu of my PS3?
Does not make sense and makes things more confusing than strictly necessary.

totally agree
squadjot

Next

Return to General Discussion