Does ps3ms support AC3/MP3 to DTS transcoding?

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Does ps3ms support AC3/MP3 to DTS transcoding?

Postby omghi2u » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:58 am

I know it can transcode DTS to AC3 since ps3 cant decode dts audio track, but can we do the oppsite? I ask because due to the recent cinavia protection, couldnt we use the dts lpcm stream trick to our reciever to bypass the check? If i understand how the dts sound is working right now is that ps3ms just sends the raw dts data via lpcm and you must have a seperate reciever to decode the audio data, shouldnt this also prevent the actual ps3 from decoding the cinavia protection? I know this wont fix the cinavia, but it would be a solution for us with reciever correct? I am not knowleageable to demux a dirty file's audio from mp3 to dts to test this theory, but maybe some one else could? If it works, it would be a nice feature to have to be able to transcode any audio back to DTS.
omghi2u

Re: Does ps3ms support AC3/MP3 to DTS transcoding?

Postby ExSport » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:39 am

If you have AC3 protected stream with Cinavia, you can test it yourself and send results here 8-)
For now I am not sure about free DTS encoder but I think AC3filter includes DTS encoder but don't know if it can be used somehow with PMS or used it for manual AC3->DTS conversion.
For manual encoding eac3to can be used but in this case you need non-free encoder:
Code: Select all
For DTS encoding you need:
(1) SurCode DVD DTS - version 1.0.21 or newer

But it is worth trying it! :mrgreen:
Also it can be useful to find free DTS encoder with pipes support if exists! Maybe FFMPEG can do it with latest versions? Google is our friend in finding it....
ExSport

Return to General Discussion