Sever build question

General discussion about PS3 Media Server (no support or requests)

Sever build question

Postby johnanon8669 » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:10 pm

my current desktop:

dell inspirion
quad q6600 2.4
6gb ram
vista ( bloated )
Hitachi 500 gb (OS)
WDC 2 TB green ( mass storage )

*note that all my media file types are mixed*

Well i am thinking of either getting a new desktop soon to replace this one and installing ubuntu with amahi on my current desktop to run backups on all the PCs on my network.
but would i be better instead to put together a server with better specs for PMS....? i mean how much benefit will i see with the integrated video on the new intel chips and is an i3 enough to run Ps3 at 720p / 1080 p ? to more than one ps3 at a time ??

i occasionally have issues with stutter or lagging .....should i find a script that will change all my files to a format that just needs to be streamed instead of putting the load on the cpu ....i can add hard drives as needed and i clean up the video share folder about every 6 months or so.

i will be adding another tv and ps3 to my network is the main reason i am trying to figure out my best / most cost effective course of action. pushing media to two ps3 is my main concern, i don't want to have to turn one off to be able to enjoy video on the other.

any help would be greatly appreciated
johnanon8669

Re: Sever build question

Postby meskibob » Tue Dec 04, 2012 4:25 pm

Here is the FAQ regarding specs - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=30#p39334
Significantly less resources are required for streaming vs transcoding, and if you're transcoding or remuxing to multiple clients you'll need to account for each transcode buffer in the size of the java heap.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Re: Sever build question

Postby johnanon8669 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:57 am

By looking at the specs in the link I should be fine with the q6600.

Adjusting the Java heap size to set aside one gig of ram for 2 systems should be enough? Is there some way to figure this out so that I don't. "Fubar " it? I will probally be adding the Dvd case cover plugin to Psm but that will be the only plugin.
johnanon8669

Return to General Discussion