Popcorn Hour A-100 with DTS Audio. Editing .conf...

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Popcorn Hour A-100 with DTS Audio. Editing .conf...

Postby TurboGLH » Thu Jan 27, 2011 2:24 am

I have an older popcorn hour, the original A-100 model. I hooked it up recently in my bedroom to have a streaming option there, and it works fine except this model does not include DTS down sampling. They lacked a DTS license (added on the A-110) and can only pass through any DTS audio. My tv, of course, does not support DTS and I don't have a receiver or such in there.

The A-100 can playback MKV's just fine, as well as Dolby encoded material. I can achieve playback by going to the transcode folder and manually selecting MEncoder, which transcodes to a mpegts/dd track. However that causes me to lose features such as chapters, fast forward and resume play, the last being the real killer. If I change movies, or shut it off for some reason. I have to watch it from the beginning again when I want to continue watching.

I read the ps3.conf file, and after looking it over I felt I had a fair grasp on what I needed to do, so I tried editing the popcorn hour .conf file, and changed the following.

TranscodeExtensions=
StreamExtensions=mkv,hdmov,hdm,flac,fla,dts,ogg,asf,asx,m2v

to

TranscodeExtensions=dts
StreamExtensions=mkv,hdmov,hdm,flac,fla,ogg,asf,asx,m2v

This would seem to keep mkv's unchanged, but force DTS tracks to be transcoded. I've also set the audio channels as 2 and with a low bitrate (384kbps) in the transcoding tab. However, it doesn't seem to work, and when I playback a video containing DTS on the popcorn hour it still shows a MKV/DTS.

Is it possible to keep the mkv unconverted to allow me to keep chapters/FF/resume, while forcing DTS to be transcoded to AC3?
TurboGLH

Return to Alternative Media Renderers