Aspect Ratio when streaming to Bravia EX range of TVs

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Aspect Ratio when streaming to Bravia EX range of TVs

Postby wajidc » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:11 pm

Hi Guys,

I was wondering is someone could be of some assistance to me.

I have PS3MS (v1.20) on my laptop.

When I stream movies (DLNA) to my PS3 to view on a 32" toshiba LCD TV... it automatically displays the movie in the largest (yet accurate) aspect ratio. (Theres 3 options in PS3 display selection - original, normal, zoom). It always selects the 'normal' aspect ratio - which I am happy with.

But when I stream (DLNA) to my Sony Bravia 32EX403 LCD TV directly without the PS3... all the movies are automatically displayed in "wide screen" aspect ratio, where the actual visible display of the movie is very narrow and theres too much black space above and below the actual picture. This is never the case when streaming to the PS3.

I have to keep changing the aspect ratio on the the TVs remote control from 'Wide' to 'Smart' to get a 'fuller' picture on the TV screen.

Can anyone help me to always and automatically have the 'Smart' aspect ratio selected when streaming movies from PS3MS to the Bravia 32EX403?

Many thanks,
Wajid
wajidc

Re: Aspect Ratio when streaming to Bravia EX range of TVs

Postby Xmantium » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:32 am

You should check this post, fixed my ratio problems for my excellent Bravia!

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=7423&start=60#p43491
PMS Running on QNAP TS-639 Pro Linux Server, 1.2 DualCore Intel, 12TB RAID5 HDD
Xmantium

Postby wajidc » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:46 pm

Thanks - that's definitely made a huge improvement.

However, I do still find when viewing some movies if I were to select the screen format as 'smart' instead of the default 'wide' it does make the black bars at the top and bottom smaller and hence making the viewable movie picture larger, how can i default to 'smart' always instead of 'wide'?

When i use PS3MS with my PS3 it always defauls to the largest picture it can without me having to mess about with screen format sizes etc, why can't the same ouput (size) be displayed on the Bravia TV?

These are my Display -> Screen -> Network (Video) settings on the Bravia:

Screen Format: Wide
Auto Format: On
4:3 Default: Smart
Display Area: +1

Please could you post your settings?

Many thanks,
Wajid
wajidc

Postby Xmantium » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:56 pm

My Bravia is the 52NX803 using slightly modified BraviaEX.conf.
My TV default ratio is Wide at the moment

I've not noticed the picture size compared to my PS3 with the new settings.
To be honest I'm very pleased it plays with correct ratio and very watchable, the picture quality is better than the PS3 or any of my other HTPC players. Saves me cost running and time booting PS3.

I'm still curious bout size, I will post my settings and findings soon.
Xmantium

Postby smlange » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:17 am

wajidc wrote:Can anyone help me to always and automatically have the 'Smart' aspect ratio selected when streaming movies from PS3MS to the Bravia 32EX403?

While streaming (!) try and go to Settings -> Display -> Screen. There should be a setting where you can choose between 'Smart', 'Wide' and 'Zoom' or something. I believe it's the option at the top of the list. :)
EDIT:
wajidc wrote:These are my Display -> Screen -> Network (Video) settings on the Bravia:

Screen Format: Wide
Auto Format: On
4:3 Default: Smart
Display Area: +1

It's the 'Screen Format' option I mean that you should change to 'Smart'. If that doesn't work, try and set 'Auto Format' to 'Off' also.
smlange

Postby wajidc » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:50 am

Yep, found how to set screen mode to 'smart' for network (video) to default, but after examining the pictures between the PS3 and the Bravia whilst having custom options set to -vf expand=::::1:16/9,dsize=4/3 in PS3MS, I've come to the conclusion that 'wide' is the optimum setting and it is the same as when viewing through the PS3. Smart just streatches and zooms the 4:3 format of the video and looks a little strange.

I am satisfied with the ratio and picture size of streaming video to my Bravia, especially as now I don't have to keep changing the screen mode.

Many thanks to those involved in finding this setting!
Wajid
wajidc

Postby smlange » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:30 pm

wajidc wrote:[...] after examining the pictures between the PS3 and the Bravia whilst having custom options set to -vf expand=::::1:16/9,dsize=4/3 in PS3MS, I've come to the conclusion that 'wide' is the optimum setting [...]

I also found 'wide' to be the best choice.
smlange

Postby Xmantium » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:59 pm

Yeah, after testing, keeping it wide with the custom code is best for Bravia
Xmantium

Return to Alternative Media Renderers