Couple of questions from Sony Bravia owner

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Couple of questions from Sony Bravia owner

Postby devsk » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:34 am

1. What is the best format (container, video and audio) for natively playing the content on Bravia TV? The model of the TV is KDL NX810. The formats I have tried:

a. avi (avi container with h264 video and mp3 audio). Works only through transcode.
b. mpegts (named the file .ts, .m2ts, mpeg2ts, .mpegts with it not showing up in the list with mediainfo=true) container with h264 video and mp3 or ac3 audio. I get "Video file can not be played", although I think this is the most compatible format for Sony Bravia.
c. mp4 (mp4 container with h264 video and mp3/ac3 audio). Begins to play but I get a black screen.
d. mkv (h264 video with mp3/ac3 audio). Transcode only.

I am using the following config for renderer. I think I copied pasted it from this forum and may be tweaked it a bit.
Code: Select all
RendererName=Sony Bravia KDL-55NX810
RendererIcon=bravia.png
UserAgentSearch=notusedhere
UserAgentAdditionalHeader=X-AV-Client-Info
UserAgentAdditionalHeaderSearch=BRAVIA KDL-55NX810
Video=true
Audio=true
Image=true
SeekByTime=true
TranscodeVideo=MPEGAC3
TranscodeAudio=MP3
DefaultVBVBufSize=true
MuxH264ToMpegTS=true
MuxDTSToMpeg=false
WrapDTSIntoPCM=false
MuxLPCMToMpeg=false
MaxVideoBitrateMbps=0
MaxVideoWidth=0
MaxVideoHeight=0
H264Level41Limited=true
TranscodeAudioTo441kHz=false
AutoExifRotate=true
MimeTypesChanges=audio/wav=audio/L16|video/mp4=video/mpeg
DLNALocalizationRequired=true

# commented out as per comments from PS3.conf
TranscodeExtensions=
# TranscodeExtensions=dvr-ms,dvr,mkv,dv,ty,mov,ogm,hdmov,hdm,rmv,rmvb,rm,asf,evo,asx,flv,m2v,mpe,mod,tivo,ty,tmf,ts,tp,m2p,m4v,wmv,wm,divx,div,flac,mlp,fla,wma,m4a,aac,dts,mka,ape,ogg,shn,mpc,ra,mp2,wv,oma,aa3,gif,png,arw,cr2,crw,dng,raf,mrw,nef,pef,tif,tiff

#StreamExtensions=
StreamExtensions=mp3,mp4,avi,ts,m2ts

MediaInfo=false
# [Supported video formats]:
# Here we declare support (or lack) of DTS (here, none of the entries declare dts as a supported audio codec)
Supported = f:mpegps|mpegts v:mpeg1|mpeg2|mp4|h264 a:ac3|lpcm|aac|mpa m:video/mpeg
# No H264 for AVI files, plus specific mediainfo attributes, for better auto detection (qpel and gmc are not supported here)
Supported = f:avi|divx v:mp4|divx|mjpeg a:mp3|lpcm|mpa|ac3 m:video/x-divx qpel:no gmc:0
Supported = f:mp4 v:mp4|h264 a:ac3|aac m:video/mp4
# WMV files are supported, but not with 5.1 audio: (hence the n:2)
Supported = f:wmv v:wmv|vc1 a:wma n:2 m:video/x-ms-wmv
# [Supported audio formats]:
Supported = f:wav a:dts|lpcm n:6 s:48000 m:audio/wav
Supported = f:wav n:2 s:48000 m:audio/wav
Supported = f:mp3 n:2 m:audio/mpeg
# Apple lossless not supported
Supported = f:aac n:2 a:(?!alac).+ m:audio/x-m4a
Supported = f:wma n:2 m:audio/x-ms-wma
Supported = f:atrac n:2 m:audio/x-oma
# [Supported image formats]
Supported = f:jpg m:image/jpeg
Supported = f:png m:image/png
Supported = f:gif m:image/gif
Supported = f:tiff m:image/tiff
MediaInfo was true earlier and it was failing to even show mp4 file in the listing.

2. I forgot question #2. Damn! I am getting old. I will ask when I remember....Sorry!
devsk

Re: Couple of questions from Sony Bravia owner

Postby singlemalt8 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:35 am

Wonderful question devsk! SOrry I cannot be much help as I have the same struggle. The Sony site says the NX810 will only play "Video : AVCHD or MPEG 2 format". Seems crazy it does not handle H.264 directly and I am not sure how to make transcoding work properly. Can PMS even handle AVCHD? IF you get an answer...I would be very interested too!
singlemalt8

Postby devsk » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:55 am

I think the mpegts is the most compatible format for Sony Bravia and PS3. I installed serviio and created mpegts file using:
Code: Select all
time ffmpeg -i <input avi/mkv/mp4 with h264 video> -acodec ac3 -ab 256k -vcodec copy -vbsf h264_mp4toannexb -f mpegts <output>.m2ts

Make sure the output is called with extension .m2ts. The output file is slightly larger. This produces the most compatible file for playback to Sony Bravia NX810 model and PS3, WITHOUT transcoding through serviio. It plays without hiccup over wifi because the h264 has lower bitrate (2Mbps average for most of my SD content) compared to mpeg2 (the transcoded stream for PS3MS), which can peak at arbitrary rates. The h264 bitrate doesn't even scratch the surface of my wifi speeds over 802.11n (50Mbps in a room 30 feet away).

Of course, as I stated in my OP, I can't get that file to work with PS3MS.
devsk

Postby Illico » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:03 am

For me the best HD profile for Sony Bravia DLNA is AVC_TS_HD_50_AC3
This is a MPEG2-TS container with AVC/h264 1080p video and AC3 multi audio canal.
Otherwise for SD, this is MPEG_TS_SD_EU
MPEG2-TS container with MPEG2 video and AC3 audio
Subtitles are not supported on Sony Bravia DLNA...
Sony Bravia KDL-46EX501 | Sony BDP-S373 | Sony SMP-N100 |Serviio / PS3MS | Buffalo 2Share DD
Illico

Postby mazey » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:21 pm

i just wish someone could find a fix for the slow directory listing on bravias.
PMS 1.90.2 Snapshot - Intel Celeron G1840 Dual 2.8Ghz / Asus Z97m-plus / Corsair Vengeance 8GB / Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)
mazey

Postby Illico » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:23 pm

The slow directory listing is due to PMS server (PC) not Bravia... try Serviio this feature is better.
Sony Bravia KDL-46EX501 | Sony BDP-S373 | Sony SMP-N100 |Serviio / PS3MS | Buffalo 2Share DD
Illico

Postby singlemalt8 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 3:32 pm

Thanks for all the comments. I will have to encode a few test files and see where I end up. Your advice appreciated!
singlemalt8

Postby jzw » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:27 pm

Hi,
I've only been playing with PS3M for a couple of days and the best option that I have working is with m2ts files.

I've got the following types being streamed (ie no transcode or remux)

m2ts file containing MPEG2 video + AC3 5.1 audio
m2ts file containing MPEG4/H264 video + AAC 2 channel

Providing the file type+video stream+audio stream match one of the lines in the mediaInfo section then PS3MS should choose to stream. On the Sony it will say [No Encode] next to the file name.

In my BraviaEx.conf I have the following.

UserAgentAdditionalHeaderSearch=(BRAVIA KDL.+EX4)|(BRAVIA KDL.+EX5)|(BRAVIA KDL.+EX7)|(BRAVIA KDL.+NX7)

# Dont use these and rely on media info to do the right thing
TranscodeExtensions=
StreamExtensions=

MediaInfo=true
Supported = f:mpegps|mpegts v:mpeg1|mpeg2|mp4|h264 a:ac3|lpcm|aac|mpa m:video/mpeg

The thing I haven't been able to get working so far is getting it to remux and not re-encode my mp4 files. (MPEG4/H264+AAC audio)

JZW

fyi - I'm using a 2010 Sony KDL-32EX403 with the Bravia 3 engine & Windows Vista Home 32-bit
jzw

Postby jzw » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:26 am

Update - the prior lines do work correctly with mp4 files. When you browse from the Bravia you see [MENCODER] in the mp4 names however the when it starts streaming my I can see that the CPU on my PC is idle most of the time so it is not re-encoding but just passing the H264 stream straight to tsmuxer.

Its still a bit more useful to use m2ts files but at least it works well the mp4.
jzw

Return to Alternative Media Renderers