Question HowTo Apply Custom Encoder Settings

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Question HowTo Apply Custom Encoder Settings

Postby g8keepr » Wed Dec 08, 2010 2:44 pm

Hello all,

I'm on linux ( ubuntu 10.04 lucid ) and have an xbox360 with most of my media streaming working ok ( including mkvs ) . The only issue I've found is that the mkv files that do work, stream in stereo. I believe this is due to the xbox360.conf file's configuration where it's set to TranscodeVideo=WMV and TranscodeAudio=MP3.

My question is , how can I change this to avi ( xvid ) with ac3 audio ( 5.1 ) ? I see the currently supported parameters for TranscodeVideo are : MPEGAC3, MPEGTSAC3 or WMV for video, PCM or MP3 for audio. Now, I've successfully transcoded mkv's (h264 w/ ac3 ) in the past with mencoder to xvid avi's with 5.1 surround sound, but I'd like to take advantage of ps3mediaserver's on-the-fly transcoding streaming capabilities.

I'd like to use a command similar to this :

mencoder "$1" -alang eng -ovc xvid -ffourcc XVID -xvidencopts bitrate=5000:chroma_opt:quant_type=mpeg:vhq=4:bvhq=1:threads=4 -n
oskip -mc 0 -noautosub -vf pp=md,harddup,scale=1280:720 -forceidx -oac copy -o "$1"_video_only.avi

I'm guessing I don't need the -o (output ). I don't require all the parameters , but in the very least '-ovc xvid -ffourcc XVID' and maybe some of the -xvidencopts. If I can do this with ffmpeg too, why not. It seems like I need an "XVIDAC3" like setting.

Any ideas?

Thanks
g8keepr

Re: Question HowTo Apply Custom Encoder Settings

Postby meskibob » Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:05 pm

Search the forum for the MAGMA release.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Re: Question HowTo Apply Custom Encoder Settings

Postby g8keepr » Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:48 pm

Thanks. I actually found the posting you've mentioned, but it's for windows only at this time ( and I'm on linux ) , but I'll look into the code a bit and see what I can find.
g8keepr

Return to Alternative Media Renderers