Samsung AllShare uPnP/DLNA

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Re: Poor image quality with Samsung all share

Postby ginjaninjanick » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:35 pm

bbunnys wrote:Im running PS3 media server direct to my 55 inch Samsung TV through DNLA and find on SD 480p video image quality is pretty poor.
If I run the same SD video through PS3 media server on my Xbox 360 or my mates WD Live TV picture looks much better and crisper.

Is this just due to Samsung TV build in media player being poor or lower resolution, and is there a way to change resolution. I wounder if image difference is becaue Xbox etc are upscaling it to 1080p as thats what I have them set on.

Is there anyway in PS3 media server to upscale picture

are you testing like for like with all the renderers...is transcoding disabled for all renderers (you can disable transcoding by filetype if the renderes can handle the video and audio streams natively)? and its just the renderers ability to upscale that you are comparing? If theres no transocding then its pretty telling that the tv upscales poorly....what model is out of interest?
ginjaninjanick

Re: Samsung AllShare uPnP/DLNA

Postby ginjaninjanick » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:38 pm

MrNike wrote:On my Samsung I can stream ok but it's the Audio I have a problem, I don't seem to have AC3 output only Stereo.

Any suggestions please.

are you mixing terminology...ac3 is a codec and stereo is number of chnanels....
whats the problem...file wont play natively, file wont transcode? tv wont pass through audio channels to external speakers? you get 2(.1) channels but not 5(.1)?
ginjaninjanick

Postby MrNike » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:21 pm

Sorry am a newbie to this. When I stream through PS3 my amp indicates 5.1 channel sound, when I stream through the Samsung the amp does not detect 5.1 channel sound but still outputs audio which I am guessing is LCPM sound.
MrNike

Postby ginjaninjanick » Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:37 am

MrNike wrote:Sorry am a newbie to this. When I stream through PS3 my amp indicates 5.1 channel sound, when I stream through the Samsung the amp does not detect 5.1 channel sound but still outputs audio which I am guessing is LCPM sound.

whats the model of tv? are both tv and ps3 NOT transcoding ie both receiving unadulterated ac3?
ginjaninjanick

Postby MrNike » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:12 pm

Samsung PS51E6500 Full HD 51" Plasma 3D TV

Both I beleive are not transcoding. Where do I check this?
MrNike

Postby ginjaninjanick » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:46 pm

status page would confirm, alternvatively on navigation page you can set the test filex extension to 'do not transcode'.
ps3ms cpu would increasing in usage if it was transcoding.

If both renderers are not transcoding then i am running out of ideas as to how to troubleshoot from there.
The tv will receive the 5.1 ac3 stream and then decide what to do with it..either pass it through to the receiver/speakers or change the audio stream.
maybe there are some audio settings on tv that define how to pass on audio stream. maybe as you say it is decoding to 5.1 channel lpcm or 2.1 channel lpcm...
if the receiver normally auto switches to Dolby D or similar on 5.1 ac3 stream then it sounds like the tv is changing (as it swicthes for another renderer). but not neccessarily for the worse if the receiver is still receiving all channels...is it receiving all channels? sound coming out of rears?
ginjaninjanick

Postby MrNike » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:22 am

I managed to get AC3 sound by going into the Sound preferences on the TV and selecting the SPDIF to DOLBY DIGITAL. When I play any AC3 files to the tv they now display on the Amp as 5.1.
My next problem is when I play DTS files I only get LPCM which I would expect seeing as my Amp is only DOLBY DIGITAL so my next question is when I play the same DTS files via the PS3 the output is converted to DOLBY DIGITAL and the Amp displays 5.1 so can you guide me to what and where I change within PMS in order for the tv to receive DOLBY DIGITAL from the DTS files just as the PS3 does.
MrNike

Postby ginjaninjanick » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:24 pm

MrNike wrote:I managed to get AC3 sound by going into the Sound preferences on the TV and selecting the SPDIF to DOLBY DIGITAL. When I play any AC3 files to the tv they now display on the Amp as 5.1.
My next problem is when I play DTS files I only get LPCM which I would expect seeing as my Amp is only DOLBY DIGITAL so my next question is when I play the same DTS files via the PS3 the output is converted to DOLBY DIGITAL and the Amp displays 5.1 so can you guide me to what and where I change within PMS in order for the tv to receive DOLBY DIGITAL from the DTS files just as the PS3 does.

theres nothing wrong with lpcm if your getting all the channels you want. If you want the samsung to receive an AC3 stream and pass on an ac3 stream to receiver then you may need to tweak the profile in use to tell PS3MS to transcode dts to ac3 for samsung. Not the easiest thing to do although its the topic of editing .conf files (renderer profiles) that you need to read up on..The profile defines what content is transocded for what renderer (amongst other things for the renderer)
ginjaninjanick

Postby MrNike » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:07 pm

I have seen this post - how to force transcoding from DTS to AC3

Re: how to force transcoding from DTS to AC3

by otmanix » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:10 pm

modify your renderers config file to disable DTS...

disable support for DTS in samsung.conf
Code: Select all...
#Transcode codecs for video and audio engines
#currently supported: MPEGAC3, MPEGTSAC3 or WMV for video, PCM or MP3 for audio
TranscodeVideo=MPEGAC3
TranscodeAudio=WAV
#Does the media renderer supports DTS in a mpeg file ?
#Deprecated if MediaInfo=true
MuxDTSToMpeg=false
#Does the media renderer supports DTS wrapped into LPCM in a mpeg file ?
WrapDTSIntoPCM=false

If this parameter is set true
Code: Select allMediaInfo=true
settings mentioned before can be overridden by sth like that:
Code: Select allSupported = f:wav a:dts|lpcm n:6 s:48000 m:audio/wav
In that case remove support for DTS
Code: Select allSupported = f:wav a:lpcm n:6 s:48000 m:audio/wav

Problem now is i tried to edit the conf but keep getting error access denied???
MrNike

Postby ginjaninjanick » Wed Nov 14, 2012 2:24 pm

maybe its in use while ps3ms is runninng?
ginjaninjanick

PreviousNext

Return to Alternative Media Renderers