Recommended standalone device?

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Recommended standalone device?

Postby joako » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:19 am

Can anyone recommend a standalone device to use as a media player/renderer? I already have 1 Sony TV and that is working fine. The idea is to have 3-5 tvs in a retail area streaming videos. The Sony TV is working great playing the same folder of content continuously. I would like to add another device, and the main thing I am looking for is the ability to quickly bring up 1 folder and play its contents over and over. The Sony TV does this if you place the directory in its "favorites" and then you can turn on the TV, hit favorites and then select the folder and it plays the 10 or so videos over and over all day long. I need something like this but standalone to use with the older TVs that don't support DLNA.

I am looking at the Viewsonic NexTV VMP75 because it supports DLNA and is a good price.
joako

Re: Recommended standalone device?

Postby Twosheds » Sat Oct 09, 2010 4:00 pm

I've bought a Hisense 1080p HD TV Media Player. I haven't found anything in my video collection that it won't play.

In the UK, it's around £60 from Expansys.com.
Twosheds

Postby devildog93 » Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:40 pm

Western Digital and PopCorn Hour, both make good devices.

The common dislike I have found with both WD and Popcorn Hour players has been the UI, but apparently most of their models play nearly everything.
devildog93

Postby joako » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:43 am

I read really bad review on the Viewsonic -- it won't play DLNA at all!

If you have the device, can you set it to play the same folder in repeat? How easy is it to navigate like that?

On the Sony TV you turn it on, hit the big "Favorites" button on the remote and scroll two icons to the left to folder and then you press ok, and after that it will play the folder in a loop forever.
joako

Return to Alternative Media Renderers