Sony BDP-S370 (DLNA-compatible with new firmware M03.R.567)

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Re: PS3 Media Server • Post a reply

Postby grolschie » Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:37 pm

nearmwed wrote::(

?
grolschie

Re: Sony BDP-S370 (DLNA-compatible with new firmware M03.R.5

Postby CaptainRewind » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:40 am

Hello,

I am using Ubuntu 10.04, and have applied the patches to the latest svn trunks and am still unable to get my BDP-s370 to play 1080p or 720p mkv x264 files. I don't really care about playing any other format or using any other renderer. I have the latest firmware update on the renderer.

In some cases I have gotten errors trying to apply the patches, but on the attempts where the patch was successfully applied, I am able to see my .mkv file listed in the menu on the BDP-s370, but I always get a message that the content may be unsupported or corrupt. I see in the logs that the transcode/remux has been started, but I want it to play it natively (no transcode) because I doubt my system can handle transcoding. Either way, it won't play. This thread looks like my best hope of getting this done, and I'm willing to adjust any source or config files to get this working without transcoding.

I have tried the following patches from various posts in this existing thread:

BDP-Sx70-v2.patch (can't get this one to apply without errors on any revision)
ps3ms-410-content-range.patch
sony_bdp_v2.patch
sony_bdp_v4.patch

Additionally, I've tried revision 412 and was unable to get the BDP-Sx70-v2.patch patch to apply to either the 412 revision or the head trunk revision. I noticed that in revision 412, the .sh file doesn't even contain the x-bit so maybe that one isn't the best to be using.

Additionally, I saw the post about applying the size-limit-input-stream.r486.diff patch to revision 487, but it still didn't work for me. Is there a more recent one?

I'd really like to get this working. Can anyone recommend a specific svn revision / patch / BDP-s370.conf combination that is known to work in Ubuntu? I'd be willing to test any combinations that you think would be a good idea, but at this point I'm a bit out of my league. I am an application integration engineer working in Java apps on Linux, so I have experience in all of these areas except for the DLNA side of things.

I am willing to try any suggestions. Please and Thanks in advance.
Last edited by CaptainRewind on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
CaptainRewind

Postby grolschie » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:47 am

The BDP-Sx70-v2.patch (now v2.1) plays most files nicely on my Windows setup. It includes a config that streams rather than transcodes as much as possible.

EDIT: The v2 patch couldn't be applied to revision 512 (except when using a program like TortoiseSVN which fetches the older version of the files it cannot patch - it would seem). The BDP-Sx70-v2.patch file should work with version 494 - and then do an SVN update.

I have now uploaded a newer patch.
grolschie

Postby CaptainRewind » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:02 pm

Thanks! I have built and applied the BDP-Sx70-v2.1.patch patch to revision 494 successfully on my Linux machine - output below.

I am remote so will have to test tonight. One thing that did occur to me was this: the one time that I was able to get the BDP-s370 to see the media files and show transcoding/muxing in the logs (and not get the message No playable media or something to that effect), the mkv file was displaying as an m2ts file. Since then I've been unable to get it to even display the media outside of the #TRANSCODE# folder. I'm assuming I want it displayed outside of this folder to get the desired result? Hopefully this build/patch/renderer.conf configuration will do just that.

Another question: could the size of my mkv file be an issue as well? I noticed my test file is nearly 8GB in size, and I've had problem streaming files over 4GB to my XBox 360 in the past. Would it be better to try the mkv file being mentioned in this thread? I never saw an actual link to this file, does anyone have a link to that file, or a known-good test file? Send me a PM if you do please.

UPDATE: I will use this file for testing: http://divxtrailers.divx.com/Iron_Man_2-DivXPlusHD.mkv
Second Update: I noticed the Iron Man 2 trailer is AAC Audio, I'm assuming 2-channel. Does this mean this won't work for 5.1 (any type)?

Successful build output:
Code: Select all
$ svn checkout -r 494 http://ps3mediaserver.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ pms494 &
$ cd ./pms494/ps3mediaserver/
$ cp ~/BDP-Sx70-v2.1.patch ./
$ patch -p0 < BDP-Sx70-v2.1.patch
$ cd ../..
~$ svn update http://ps3mediaserver.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/ pms494
Skipped 'http://ps3mediaserver.googlecode.com/svn/trunk'
U    pms494/ps3mediaserver/plugins/plugins.txt
U    pms494/ps3mediaserver/net/pms/network/HTMLConsole.java
U    pms494/ps3mediaserver/net/pms/newgui/LinksTab.java
G    pms494/ps3mediaserver/net/pms/encoders/MEncoderVideo.java
U    pms494/ps3mediaserver/net/pms/encoders/Player.java
U    pms494/ps3mediaserver/net/pms/encoders/TSMuxerVideo.java
U    pms494/ps3mediaserver/net/pms/configuration/PmsConfiguration.java
U    pms494/ps3mediaserver/net/pms/dlna/MediaInfoParser.java
G    pms494/ps3mediaserver/net/pms/dlna/DLNAResource.java
U    pms494/ps3mediaserver/net/pms/PMS.java
U    pms494/ps3mediaserver/net/pms/external/ExternalFactory.java
U    pms494/ps3mediaserver/net/pms/io/PipeIPCProcess.java
U    pms494/ps3mediaserver/net/pms/util/FileUtil.java
U    pms494/ps3mediaserver/net/pms/util/PMSUtil.java
U    pms494/ps3mediaserver/build.xml
U    pms494/ps3mediaserver/icon.ico
U    pms494/ps3mediaserver/win32/ffmpeg.exe
U    pms494/ps3mediaserver/win32/service/wrapper.conf
U    pms494/ps3mediaserver/win32/builds.txt
U    pms494/ps3mediaserver/PMS.bat
U    pms494/ps3mediaserver/third-party/nsis/Contrib/Graphics/Icons/modern-install.ico
U    pms494/ps3mediaserver/PMS.sh
U    pms494/ps3mediaserver/osx/build.xml
U    pms494/ps3mediaserver/resources/images/thumbnail-256.png
U    pms494/ps3mediaserver/resources/images/icon_tree_node-16.png
A    pms494/ps3mediaserver/resources/images/logo.png
U    pms494/ps3mediaserver/resources/images/thumbnail-120.jpg
U    pms494/ps3mediaserver/resources/images/icon_tree_node_fail-16.png
U    pms494/ps3mediaserver/resources/images/icon-256.png
U    pms494/ps3mediaserver/resources/images/icon-32.png
U    pms494/ps3mediaserver/resources/images/icon-16.png
U    pms494/ps3mediaserver/nsis/pms.nsi
Updated to revision 512.
Summary of conflicts:
  Skipped paths: 1
~$ cd ./pms494/ps3mediaserver/
~/pms494/ps3mediaserver$ ant
Buildfile: build.xml

depends:

clean:
   [delete] Deleting directory /home/user/pms494/ps3mediaserver/dist
   [delete] Deleting: /home/user/pms494/ps3mediaserver/pms.jar

PMS:
    [mkdir] Created dir: /home/user/pms494/ps3mediaserver/classes
    [javac] Compiling 168 source files to /home/user/pms494/ps3mediaserver/classes
    [javac] Note: /home/user/pms494/ps3mediaserver/net/pms/network/RequestHandlerV2.java uses or overrides a deprecated API.
    [javac] Note: Recompile with -Xlint:deprecation for details.
      [jar] Building jar: /home/user/pms494/ps3mediaserver/pms.jar
      [jar] META-INF/LICENSE.txt already added, skipping
      [jar] META-INF/NOTICE.txt already added, skipping
      [jar] META-INF/LICENSE already added, skipping
      [jar] META-INF/NOTICE already added, skipping
    [mkdir] Created dir: /home/user/pms494/ps3mediaserver/dist
      [tar] Building tar: /home/user/pms494/ps3mediaserver/dist/pms-generic-linux-unix-1.21.0.tgz
   [delete] Deleting directory /home/user/pms494/ps3mediaserver/classes

creatensis:

BUILD SUCCESSFUL
Total time: 15 seconds

Thanks for the help, I feel I'm getting close here so I'll test and submit results tonight.
Last edited by CaptainRewind on Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
CaptainRewind

Postby grolschie » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:12 pm

Thanks for the update. I suspect that many movie trailers are only 2.0 channel. My config will stream DD or DTS 5.1 (if the file has this) to be decoded by an AV receiver. You can press the Display button on the remote to see what the player is receiving.
grolschie

Postby CaptainRewind » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:30 am

OK, now I feel like I've taken a step backwards.

I don't see the file listed outside of #TRANSCODE# folder after applying the above config. Yesterday I did see the .mkv files listed as a m2ts file, but they wouldn't play. Today, after configuring the application as I previously posted, I still only see the #TRANSCODE# folder, and if I navigate inside that folder and try to play the IronMan2 trailer, I get the message "There is no playable file." Just to be sure permissions weren't a problem, I made the permissions on the .mkv file 777 (read/write/execute by all) and restarted PMS.sh... no go.

Also, I've checked out the entire svn head revision in Eclipse, and I'm willing and able to make any source changes should they be deemed appropriate.

Again, thanks for the help. Next steps?

UPDATE: I thought it may be helpful to post the pid and java version as well, should they be helpful:

$ ps aux | grep java
user     4748  0.4  3.0 1101568 30912 pts/0   Sl   18:35   0:01 java -Xmx768M -Xss16M -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Djava.net.preferIPv4Stack=true -classpath /home/user/pms494/ps3mediaserver/update.jar:/home/user/pms494/ps3mediaserver/pms.jar net.pms.PMS
user     4832  0.0  0.0   3324   796 pts/0    S+   18:41   0:00 grep java
user@host:~/pms494/ps3mediaserver$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_24"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_24-b07)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 19.1-b02, mixed mode, sharing)

I decided to retry the patching, and I noticed one FAILED hunk. Here is the output from the patch.
(Stripping trailing CRs from patch.)
patching file net/pms/configuration/RendererConfiguration.java
patching file net/pms/dlna/DLNAMediaInfo.java
patching file net/pms/dlna/DLNAResource.java
Hunk #1 succeeded at 48 (offset 2 lines).
Hunk #2 succeeded at 895 (offset -7 lines).
Hunk #3 succeeded at 1126 (offset -7 lines).
Hunk #4 succeeded at 1149 (offset -7 lines).
patching file net/pms/dlna/RealFile.java
patching file net/pms/dlna/WebStream.java
patching file net/pms/encoders/MEncoderVideo.java
Hunk #1 succeeded at 1091 with fuzz 1 (offset -53 lines).
Hunk #2 FAILED at 1162.
1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file net/pms/encoders/MEncoderVideo.java.rej
patching file net/pms/io/SizeLimitInputStream.java
patching file net/pms/network/RequestV2.java
patching file PMS.conf
patching file renderers/BDP-s370.conf
CaptainRewind

Postby grolschie » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:39 am

Hi. Are you patching 494 or 512? Patch V2.1 is for revision 512. v2 is for 494. I hope that helps. I will download that .mkv file and see if it plays and will post back.

EDIT: I have downloaded that Iron Man 2 trailer .mkv file. It seems to take a few attempts to start, mencoder problems. It eventually plays. It says it's transcoding/remuxing though. However, my PC is quite slow and cannot possibly be transoding HD in real time, so maybe it's just remuxing? It shows AVC video and DD 2.0 audio using the Display button on the remote. VLC on my PC also confirms this.
grolschie

Postby CaptainRewind » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:17 am

I successfully applied to revision 512.

My system couldn't handle hd video transcoding, either. Remuxing is all I could handle. Is this going to be a problem? Should I just stop here?

Also, I joined the forums over at Serviio, having similar problems getting this renderer to see my media.
CaptainRewind

Postby grolschie » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:21 am

It plays ok for me, even though it says that it's transcoding/remuxing. There was a longer than usual delay before playback commenced. I am on Windows XP, so I don't know how performance of PMS compares on other platforms. Does the file show up for you with the patched revision 512?
grolschie

PreviousNext

Return to Alternative Media Renderers