Sony BDP-S370 (DLNA-compatible with new firmware M03.R.567)

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Re: Sony BDP-S370 (DLNA-compatible with new firmware M03.R.5

Postby patters » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:44 pm

Strange - they're ok for me. How about setting them to video/vnd.dlna.mpeg-tts? I haven't got the Content Length set to -1 though. Once that's done, nothing works except transcodes so I'm trying to work out how to make it conditional.

I have verified that the server is correctly using the HTTP/1.1 206 Partial Content response by inserting a debug line at line 202 of net/pms/network/RequestHandlerV2.java so I guess we can rule that out as a potential cause of the stutter.
Last edited by patters on Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
patters

Postby grolschie » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:06 am

Thanks patters and infidel.
grolschie

Postby patters » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:53 am

I've commented out the logging parts of PMS.java and the stuttering problem remains so it's not a disk or file I/O relating to all the tiny writes to the log.
patters

Postby WorldOfHurt » Sun Sep 05, 2010 11:48 am

The java logging is pretty efficient, it is buffered so it wont cause a problem unless the CPU is totally maxed-out, and if that is happening nothing you do is going to stop it stuttering anyway :(

Have you tried playing this material straight through mencoder? (I'm assuming you are using mencoder)

Does it play ok? It occurred to me that maybe the problem is not server-related, just a limit of the transcoder? Possibly not, but worth a try.
WorldOfHurt

Postby patters » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:33 pm

The stuttering I'm talking about occurs on all HD MKV and MP4 content when played natively on the BDP - no transcode involved. Does this not happen for you on Linux? As I mentioned, it's still an issue on Mac OS. Needless to say, the same files play back fine from USB, and are fine when trancoded to MPEG2TS (either by Mencoder handing off to TSMuxer, or if they're remuxed manually beforehand using TSMuxer). If we can fix this then it's job done. And Serviio can do it, so it must be possible.

@infidel - I probably won't get a chance today, but can you see if transcoding will allow fwd/rev controls to work if you specify the content length as the real length of the file, rather than -1?
patters

Postby grolschie » Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:45 pm

infidel wrote:@grolschie: line-wrap in the code-box above is the cause. Best to try editing (a copy of) the source by hand, it's only afew changes. I'm not at my own computer right now, so I can't upload the source.

Wow, internet TV now is mostly working. Thanks. The patch does conflict with WorldOfHurt's patch though. Thanks heaps.
grolschie

Postby infidel » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:13 pm

@grolschie: great!

@patters: If I use an arbitrary content length then the BDP doesn't prohibit ff/rew during transcode, but the stream seems to go haywire (at least on the ones I tried, maybe a transcoder problem). Nothing else to report except that I rigged enabling/disabling the content-length hack from the conf file, plus I'm still scratching my head over why divx and mp4 stopped working.
infidel

Postby patters » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:30 am

With this patch you can watch normal files and transcoded stuff.
It's taken a hell of a lot of tracing to figure out, and I've tried to make the transcoded streams fast forwardable but although it worked for small trailers it seemed to crap up for larger files so I removed it (this diff includes WoH's mod so it's probably best to work through it manually):
Code: Select all
+++ C:/Temp/ps3ms/ps3mediaserver/net/pms/network/RequestV2.java   Mon Sep  6 11:13:31 2010
@@ -217,16 +217,20 @@
                //CLoverride = files.get(0).length();
                // Ditlew
                CLoverride = files.get(0).length(mediaRenderer);
-               if (lowRange > 0 || highRange > 0) {
+                if (lowRange > 0 || highRange > 0 || highRange == -1) {
                   long totalsize = CLoverride;
-                  if (highRange >= CLoverride)
-                     highRange = CLoverride-1;
-                  if (CLoverride == -1) {
-                     lowRange = 0;
-                     totalsize = inputStream.available();
-                     highRange = totalsize -1;
-                  }
+            if (highRange >= CLoverride || highRange == -1)
+                   highRange = CLoverride-1;
+                   if (highRange == DLNAMediaInfo.TRANS_SIZE - 1) {
+                     lowRange = 0;
+                     highRange = -1;
+                totalsize = -1;
+                   } 
                   output.setHeader(HttpHeaders.Names.CONTENT_RANGE, "bytes " + lowRange + "-" + highRange + "/" +totalsize);
+
+// WoH     
+               //CLoverride = totalsize;
+// /WoH
                }
                if (contentFeatures != null)
                   output.setHeader("ContentFeatures.DLNA.ORG", files.get(0).getDlnaContentFeatures());
@@ -509,12 +513,18 @@
            }
       } else if (inputStream != null) {
          if (CLoverride > -1) {
-            if (lowRange > 0 && highRange > 0) {
+// WoH
+//            if (lowRange > 0 && highRange > 0) {
+        if (highRange > 0) {
+// /WoH
                output.setHeader(HttpHeaders.Names.CONTENT_LENGTH, "" + (highRange-lowRange+1));
-            } else if (CLoverride != DLNAMediaInfo.TRANS_SIZE) // since 2.50, it's wiser not to send an arbitrary Content length,
+            } else if (CLoverride != DLNAMediaInfo.TRANS_SIZE) { // since 2.50, it's wiser not to send an arbitrary Content length,
                                                    // as the PS3 displays a network error and asks the last seconds of the transcoded video
                                                    // deprecated since the "-1" size sent anyway
-               output.setHeader(HttpHeaders.Names.CONTENT_LENGTH, "" + CLoverride);
+              output.setHeader(HttpHeaders.Names.CONTENT_LENGTH, "" + CLoverride);
+            } else if (CLoverride == DLNAMediaInfo.TRANS_SIZE){
+          output.setHeader(HttpHeaders.Names.CONTENT_LENGTH, "-1");
+        }
          }
          else {
             int cl = inputStream.available();

Last edited by patters on Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
patters

Postby grolschie » Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:40 am

Thanks for this. I am mostly happy with web tv streaming, except some mms:// TV streams don't play the audio for some reason. The previous mod broke .avi file streaming from PC for me, so I hope to try to implement this one soon. Many thanks for this.
grolschie

Postby grolschie » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:00 pm

Update: I still haven't implemented the latest patch, but I suspect that one of the previous patches has fixed another problem I was having. Previously when trancoding m4a files to mp3, playback would cut out before reaching the end of the song. I suspect it was to do with a buffer or something. But now the songs I'vew tried play completely. Many thanks.
grolschie

PreviousNext

Return to Alternative Media Renderers