Need help creating custom CONFIG for Onkyo 906 AVR?

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Need help creating custom CONFIG for Onkyo 906 AVR?

Postby Mactavish » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:44 am

I would like to create a config file for my Onkyo 906 AVR, but have NO idea how to start. Any links would be appreciated. Right now with the Mac beta, the only thing I cannot play is FLAC music files. The Onkyo can play FLAC directly off hard drives and USB memory sticks. According to the Onkyo manual, these are the AVR supported Audio Files: MP3, WMA, WAV, AAC. Can't figure out why FLAC files are not transcoded, but hopefully a custom config file set to output or transcode to WAV, will work for FLAC music files.
THANKS!
Mactavish

Re: Need help creating custom CONFIG for Onkyo 906 AVR?

Postby Mactavish » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:55 pm

Where's the support? I'm sure this would work if I could create a working config file! I really need the info to include in a modified config file, so PS3 can connect to the AVR.

I just used Magpie to get some info from the Onkyo 906 AVR, maybe the info I need is in this info, so the PS3 can SEE the AVR. I'll paste it below in the hopes the developer reads my plea for help.

====== pasted from Magpie app that detects connected devices ----------------------------------

deviceData=<root xmlns="urn:schemas-upnp-org:device-1-0" xmlns:ms="urn:microsoft-com:wmc-1-0">
<specVersion>
<major>1</major>
<minor>0</minor>
</specVersion>
<device ms:X_MS_SupportsWMDRM="true">
<deviceType>urn:schemas-upnp-org:device:MediaRenderer:1</deviceType>
<friendlyName>TX-NR906</friendlyName>
<presentationURL>http://192.168.2.15/</presentationURL>
<manufacturer>ONKYO</manufacturer>
<manufacturerURL>http://www.onkyo.com/</manufacturerURL>
<modelDescription>AV Receiver</modelDescription>
<modelName>TX-NR906</modelName>
<modelNumber>TX-NR906</modelNumber>
<modelURL>http://www.onkyo.com/</modelURL>
<serialNumber>xxxxxxxxxxx</serialNumber>
<UDN>uuid:7417cb41-81be-4abb-b13b-f464fcd53f7f</UDN>
<serviceList>
<service>
<serviceType>urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:AVTransport:1</serviceType>
<serviceId>urn:upnp-org:serviceId:AVT_1-0</serviceId>
<SCPDURL>AVTransport/scpd.xml</SCPDURL>
<controlURL>AVTransport/control</controlURL>
<eventSubURL>AVTransport/event</eventSubURL>
</service>
<service>
<serviceType>urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:ConnectionManager:1</serviceType>
<serviceId>urn:upnp-org:serviceId:CMGR_1-0</serviceId>
<SCPDURL>ConnectionManager/scpd.xml</SCPDURL>
<controlURL>ConnectionManager/control</controlURL>
<eventSubURL>ConnectionManager/event</eventSubURL>
</service>
<service>
<serviceType>urn:schemas-upnp-org:service:RenderingControl:1</serviceType>
<serviceId>urn:upnp-org:serviceId:RCS_1-0</serviceId>
<SCPDURL>RenderingControl/scpd.xml</SCPDURL>
<controlURL>RenderingControl/control</controlURL>
<eventSubURL>RenderingControl/event</eventSubURL>
</service>
</serviceList>
<iconList>
<icon>
<mimetype>image/jpeg</mimetype>
<width>120</width>
<height>120</height>
<depth>24</depth>
<url>http://192.168.2.15/icon/onkyo_black120.jpg</url>
</icon>
<icon>
<mimetype>image/png</mimetype>
<width>120</width>
<height>120</height>
<depth>24</depth>
<url>http://192.168.2.15/icon/onkyo_black120.png</url>
</icon>
<icon>
<mimetype>image/jpeg</mimetype>
<width>48</width>
<height>48</height>
<depth>24</depth>
<url>http://192.168.2.15/icon/onkyo_black48.jpg</url>
</icon>
<icon>
<mimetype>image/png</mimetype>
<width>48</width>
<height>48</height>
<depth>24</depth>
<url>http://192.168.2.15/icon/onkyo_black48.png</url>
</icon>
</iconList>
</device>
</root>
&ssdp=HTTP/1.1 200 OK
EXT:
SERVER: POSIX, UPnP/1.0, Intel MicroStack/1.0.1868
USN: uuid:7417cb41-81be-4abb-b13b-f464fcd53f7f::upnp:rootdevice
CACHE-CONTROL: max-age=1800
ST: upnp:rootdevice
----------------------------------------------- END OF MAGPIE PASTE -------------------------

THANKS!
Mactavish

Postby meskibob » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:04 pm

Moved to the proper section of the forum.
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby shagrath » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:35 pm

Is this related with the other post ? I mean, do you need a renderer conf file for this particular device ?
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby shagrath » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:56 pm

ok, then. Try to save the following in a OnkyoAVR.conf, and restart:

Code: Select all
RendererName=Onkyo 906 AVR
RendererIcon=unknown.png
UserAgentSearch=Intel MicroStack
Video=false
Audio=true
Image=false
TranscodeExtensions=
StreamExtensions=flac
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Mactavish » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:57 pm

shagrath wrote:ok, then. Try to save the following in a OnkyoAVR.conf, and restart:

Code: Select all
RendererName=Onkyo 906 AVR
RendererIcon=unknown.png
UserAgentSearch=Intel MicroStack
Video=false
Audio=true
Image=false
TranscodeExtensions=
StreamExtensions=flac

You assumed correctly, I gave up on the Oppo BD83 (the other thread). So, just tried this, I have left only the PS3.conf file in the "renderers" folder, and added one exactly as you posted. I tried it first without the PS3.conf file, but PS3 did not see anything. So I put it back, and ran PS3 again, with both. I then get: "DETECTED MEDIA RENDERERS: Unknown Renderer", at the bottom of window, as before, and could not play the FLAC files. Perhaps I could try some "code" to transcode FLAC to WAV, what would that code be? I'm willing to try anything. I contacted the only other user in your forum that had an Onkyo, he sent me his modified config file, but his AVR is a different model, and that config file did not play FLAC.

This is what he wrote me and added to the PS3 config file:

--------------- BEGIN PASTE ----------------------------------------------------------------------
Please understand that I just took PS3 file and modified it so it is not elegant.
I commented out useless stuff, some I deleted but left plenty, which I did not fully understand.
I run PS2MediaServer 1.20.409 on Snow Leopard.
My Onkyo has Mediabolic player SW, I found out it out reading the trace. It said something like "unknown renderer Mediabolic" so I added that the following information in the beginning.
RendererName=mediabolic
UserAgentAdditionalHeaderSearch=MEDIABOLIC

FLAC started to sound as music after I added the following in supported audio format section:
Supported = f:flac n:2 a:flac m:audio/x-flac

I had problems with lossless Apple format, so I added the following line:
Supported = f:aac n:2 a:aac m:audio/x-m4a

-------------- END PASTE --------------------------
I even tried changing the "x-flac" to "flac", and that did not work. I'm willing to try anything, and then share the results.

Thanks for the help, I'm sure this can be done, you app does everything else, and this other Onkyo user has had success. If I could just get PS3 to recognize the Onkyo 906, it could perhaps be a break through, but I don't know how to find the true "RendererName", see the results above I got from running Magpie, as it did see the AVR and reported back some info, that I don't know how to properly read. Someone posted a working Oppo config file, and PS3 could see that BluyRay deck properly, but I don't know the author, or how they figured it out.
Mactavish

Postby Mactavish » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:33 pm

I realize you are busy, still looking forward to finding a solution. I can play FLAC files via streaming with Asset, but have to run it through Crossover on my Mac since it is a windows program, and it puts a big hit on my dual core processors. Asset is setup to convert to WAV format and plays fine on the Onkyo 906 AVR, so I just need help finding the right settings in the PS3 config file. Sorry to be so lame on it, I have experimented many times, but still no FLAC playback. Will wait to hear back from you. Thanks, I'd prefer to use PS3 then Asset.
Mactavish

Postby shagrath » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:23 pm

Careful, if you want to use the "Supported" tag, make sure you have MediaInfo=true
Otherwise, it seems good to me
shagrath
Project Lead

Postby Mactavish » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:35 pm

shagrath wrote:Careful, if you want to use the "Supported" tag, make sure you have MediaInfo=true
Otherwise, it seems good to me

May look good, but does not work, PS3 media server does not recognize Onkyo 906 AVR, and NO Flac playback. I've tried as many things as I can, unless I can find some help creating a working config file, I guess it's time to give up. Asset can play Flac music files, same computer, same AVR, different media server. But as I've mentioned, running Asset under Crossover on the Mac is not ideal. If I can't get any more suggestions from the developers here, who know a lot more about this subject then I, then I'm stuck on hold. I keep believing it's just in need of a working "config" file for this Onkyo 906 AVR, and of course some correct settings in that file, but I've tried the few suggestions so far with no Flac streaming success, which is the GOAL, as it seems to work for most other music formats. :(
Mactavish

Postby shagrath » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:44 pm

Maybe FLAC is supported only with USB drives, and not via network. So maybe we have to transcode these FLAC files to WAV or LPCM (lpcm is not supported in this server). But without precise capabilities of the beast, it's hard to know
shagrath
Project Lead

Next

Return to Alternative Media Renderers