Feature request: Support of Samsung DLNA abilities

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Re: Feature request: Support of Samsung DLNA abilities

Postby cassius » Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:38 pm

Apologies for digging up an old thread, but was this subtitle feature ever integrated into the main brach of PS3 Media Server?

If not, does anyone know of an updated recent version of the pms.jar with the samsung subtitle change in it?

Cheers
cassius

Postby Jusa » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:38 pm

Is there anything new on this? I just bought a new Samsung BD-D5500 blu-ray player. The streaming works perfectly with PS3 Media Server 1.40.0, but the subtitles doesn't work. I tried both external subtitles and mkv subtitles.
Jusa

Postby cassius » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:14 pm

I guess the answer is no
cassius

Postby cassius » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:01 pm

Well I've added the code chages from the original diff file and rebuilt the pms.jar however the subtitle feature for my samsung TV still doesn't work.

Has anyone who has successfully implemented this tell me whether they had to do anything else apart from this? ie did they have to change any settings in the GUI itself?
cassius

Postby cassius » Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:23 pm

Is there anyone out there at all that has successfully implemented this patch?
cassius

Postby SamiMakinen » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:19 pm

Just got a Samsung d8005 tv and been trying a couple of media servers but always coming back to PS3mediaserver. Spent a couple of evenings debugging the subtitles feature and i think i nailed it (with very limited testing using only mkv and srt-files).

I modified the code quite a bit so I'm not too confident if this is all you need but I think I narrowed it down to this:

requestv2.java:
// (insert after the thumbnail handling (if (fileName.startsWith("thumbnail0000")) )

Code: Select all
} else if (fileName.startsWith("subtitle0000.srt")) {

output.setHeader(HttpHeaders.Names.CONTENT_TYPE, "text/plain");
    output.setHeader(HttpHeaders.Names.EXPIRES,  getFUTUREDATE() + " GMT");
    inputStream = new java.io.FileInputStream(files.get(0).getMedia().subtitlesCodes.get(0).file);
} else {
// This is a request for a regular file.
    inputStream = dlna.getInputStream(Range.create(lowRange, highRange, range.getStart(), range.getEnd()), mediaRenderer);
    if(files.get(0).getMedia().subtitlesCodes.size() > 0) {
        output.setHeader("CaptionInfo.sec", "http://"+PMS.get().getServer().getHost()+':'+PMS.get().getServer().getPort()+"/get/"+id+"/subtitle0000.srt");
    }
    String name = dlna.getDisplayName(mediaRenderer);

So the media file response needs the CaptionInfo.sec http-header with an url to subtitles and then the actual subtitle requesthandling with very few lines. The tv doesn't seem to really care about the content-type or at least smi/caption (as used by serviio) works just as well as text/plain for .srt-files. Tried about everything based on the previous work on this thread, but then figured out the tv just needed the file-extension in the subtitle url…

I'll try to find time to test this with the latest code (tried this with some 1.5.0 beta code) and confirm the needed changes. Just wanted to share this with anyone struggling with the subtitles and samsung tv.
SamiMakinen

Postby cassius » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:16 pm

So are you saying no other changes needed to be made in any other file?

Only the request2.java file?

Update:

I can confirm this works, well done SamiMakinen!
cassius

Postby ExSport » Fri Oct 28, 2011 2:45 pm

Is it not same like here?
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3811&hilit=softsubsupport&start=10#p27139
This one worked in past what I read.
ExSport

Postby cassius » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:44 pm

ExSport wrote:Is it not same like here?
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3811&hilit=softsubsupport&start=10#p27139
This one worked in past what I read.

I implemented those old suggestions and it wouldnt work, only SamiMakinen suggestion worked for me.

Its similar but different, with the major difference being the .srt extension in the if clause.

The only thing I was curious about was that in those original changes it specified that you also needed to make a change to the DLNAResource file. I assume thos was to prevent transcoding when the renderer was samsung. I wasn't sure if this was still needed with SamiMakinen's change.
cassius

Postby SamiMakinen » Sat Oct 29, 2011 9:10 am

Might be that at the time of the previous fixes the renderer.confs were not part of ps3mediaserver. Haven't really dug that deep into it but I'd wager these are used on current version to prevent transcoding based on renderer. Previous fix hacked dlnaresource to do this and as far as I can tell broke some other renderers that might have needed transcoding.

Ari's patch is what I started working with and in the end this is basically just a minor modification to it.

Still, haven't tested on any other samsung than my own so I'm not saying this will work in any Samsung :) What I've figured out is that Samsung has these extension tags on it's DLNA DIDL that can also be used to point to subtitles (EDIT: as mentioned in the 1st post on this thread), but those didn't work on my TV (tried that too since that seems to be the case in many older devices). I can take another look at the implementation if someone tells this doesn't work on their Samsung.
SamiMakinen

PreviousNext

Return to Alternative Media Renderers