Feature request: Support of Samsung DLNA abilities

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Re: Feature request: Support of Samsung DLNA abilities

Postby sam2010 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:54 pm

Hi everyone! I just got a Samsung 8000 plasma and am looking to use PMS to stream MKV to the TV. I'm new to PMS and I've read through all these posts and the posts linked to, but have a few questions please:

1. What version of PMS should I download in order for it to best work with my Samsung? Should I download the latest beta, or the latest release? Some people have linked to a pms.jar in this thread. Is that still needed or have those changes now been rolled into the latest beta or release?

2. When I put my MKV file which contains DTS directly into the Samsung via a USB thumb drive, the video plays great but the TV outputs only 2.1 sound. My goal is to stream the MKV file from PMS and have it do whatever is needed for the TV to output 5.1 sound during MKV playback. Is this possible? If so, what settings in PMS do I need to use so that the 5.1 sound is available?

3. Any specific steps I need to take to get PMS working or configured properly for use with PMS? There were various tweaks posted here and in other threads for the .conf file but I am not sure if I still need those or they are in the product now that time has past.

I appreciate any tips and advise as I am a bit unsure of what I am doing. Thank you very much in advance.
sam2010

Postby hyflyer » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:07 pm

pygosx wrote:
Ari wrote:I created a diff which enables native Samsung subtitles and seeking.

In DLNAResource.java it disabled encoding for movies with subtitles, if the renderer is Samsung.

In RequestV2.java it adds another GET method like thumbnail0000, just with subtitle0000. For the http header, it adds Captioninfo.sec for the subtitles and sets the right Content-Length aswell, which is needed for seeking.

SeekByTime needs to be set to false in the Samsung.conf, but this should be the default. This patch also enables mkv streaming without transcoding in the Samsung.conf file, which works as long as the audio track is not DTS. If you don't want that just keep your old Samsung.conf.

samsung.diff.zip

Attached Ari's diff file working with r404

Thanks for all the effort in place. At least i can play the MKV's again though still no subs.
I've replaced the JAR file, though no subtitles yet. do I need to rename the SRT files? they now have the same names as the MKV file in the folder.
Thanks again for getting PMS to work with the sammy's
hyflyer

Postby c-o-m-m-a-n-d-e-r » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:26 pm

Hi,
having a LE32C650 in my Bedroom. With the MimeType Change mkvs working great! Seeking is half working (longer press >> jumps faster) ...

I need the Settings alwasy transcode Audio into Stereo cause just have the internal speaker. 5.1 Sounds terrible cause effects are very loud. Voices very very quiet..

Can somebody help me to find the correct settings for my conf!
c-o-m-m-a-n-d-e-r

Postby lot2smile4 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:36 pm

commander, you might want to take a look at this post: http://ps3mediaserver.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8889

This has a working samsung.conf render file, and is generally a useful thread for Samsung owners :) Solved some of my problems! (thanks again djfred!) :D

Also, not sure how I missed this thread before, but was this code integrated into the Shagrath main trunk? I am using v413 at the moment, so is this code in there? If so, was the samsung-native rendered subs integrated too? Do I need to add a line to the PMS.conf that tells the TV to use the supplied .srt file?

Thanks for your help, and hope that the link helps ya commander

EDIT: Had a look through the SVN, and this doesn't seem to have been merged into the trunk since 404 (as far as I can see)... any chance this could be done Shagrath? :D
Last edited by lot2smile4 on Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Running SUSE 11.3 from the PMServ distro
Updated PMS to SVN version 413 (although at the moment trialling pms-mlx)
Running Java 1.6.0 b20 (latest for SUSE that I can find!)
Rendering on PS3 or Samsung 40C7000
lot2smile4

Postby c-o-m-m-a-n-d-e-r » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:42 pm

thanks, i know this thread....mkvs are working! thats not the problem.
i think i don´t read everything of that thread. i will do @ home... :)

I just wanna transcode "every" Audio to 2.0 Stereo on my Samsung (my PS3 @ Living Room should use normal Dolby Audio etc.) so it have to be in the conf File and not global...

Thx a lot.
Greetings
paul 8)
c-o-m-m-a-n-d-e-r

Postby lot2smile4 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:51 pm

The only thing I could find about transcoding audio in the .conf file is:

Code: Select all
##currently supported: MPEGAC3 or WMV for video, PCM or MP3 for audio
TranscodeVideo=MPEGAC3
TranscodeAudio=PCM
## TranscodeAudio=MP3

not sure if that would be any use... transcode to mp3 instead of pcm? Don't know if there is a way of telling it to do stereo MP£ instead of multi-channel mp3 though :/
Running SUSE 11.3 from the PMServ distro
Updated PMS to SVN version 413 (although at the moment trialling pms-mlx)
Running Java 1.6.0 b20 (latest for SUSE that I can find!)
Rendering on PS3 or Samsung 40C7000
lot2smile4

Postby c-o-m-m-a-n-d-e-r » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:57 pm

i just used the word stereo for 2.0 :) if MP3 is 2.0 its ok for me ...

The Problem is only that the Voice Channel is to quiet and Effects on Left / Right Speaker are to loud...
I try the Settings from ps3.conf with audio transcode but don´t know if its right ...
c-o-m-m-a-n-d-e-r

Postby Lappen » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:36 pm

I recently bought a HP MediaSmart Server (HP MediaSmart EX 490 Home Server 1TB ) and later a Samsung TV (LE40C659MIW), I also have a PS3 slim, I have tried to stream data from the HP MediaSmart Server using PS3 Media Server and was not to happy when it came to subtitling… since I need transcoding and I only have one processor in the HP server that’s not working… since Samsung TV support srt natively (works great if using USB) I started to search for a alternate solution since PS3 Media Server isn’t able to fix this issue atm, my solution seems to be TVMOBiLi (http://www.tvmobili.com/), I now can stream avi files and use srt files for subtitles without the need for transcoding.

I will still use PS3 Media Server for streaming to the PS3 and my Phillips TV but for the Samsung I can now hopefully use only the DLNA support built in the TV to have my subtitled mkv and avi files subtitled.
Lappen

Postby ExSport » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:07 am

SoftSubs support can be included in PMS too. You need to ask for this feature in requests(here in forum) or here: http://code.google.com/p/ps3mediaserver ... ail?id=952
More info here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3811&p=36654&hilit=+softsubsupport#p36654
ExSport

Postby Lappen » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:30 pm

ExSport wrote:SoftSubs support can be included in PMS too.

Yes I know but not at the moment and that's the reason for me posting this for others to see that there is an alternative way of doing it while we wait for the support in PMS
Lappen

PreviousNext

Return to Alternative Media Renderers