Official thread for non-ps3 renderers (Bravia, etc.)

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Re: Official thread for non-ps3 renderers (Bravia, etc.)

Postby maccroche » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:35 pm

Hallo patters,
I had the same problem also with my KDL 32V5500, I changed the following parameters to fix this:
* changed the TranscodeVideo option to TranscodeVideo=MPEGTSAC3
* added mpg in the TranscodeExtensions list and
* set MimeTypesChanges to MimeTypesChanges=

I changed other parameters in the pms.conf file. You can find attached the bravia5500.conf and PMS.conf files below (bravia5500.conf is listed below).
Can you play avi file correctly? I have a "jetlag": the sound begins about 2 seconds too late.

PS: what are the files properties, can you use MediaInfo?

Configuration I used:
* Version tested: Java PS3 Media Server v1.20.410
* XP with SP 3
* Sony Bravia KDL 32V5500, firmware 1.7
* Java build 1.6.0_13-b03

I hope it will help you. Let me know about the results on your side.

patters wrote:Problem: incorrect media type detection, usually forcing transcoding when it's not necessary (when stream within the file container is in fact PS3/Bravia AVCHD compatible).

PS3MS 1.20.409
Windows 7 32bit
Sony Bravia KDL-32V5500

I got PS3MS working ok with MPEG2-transcoded stuff though personally I don't like the quality. Not a big issue really since DivX/Xvid will be dying out soon in favour of H.264. I downloaded a few 1080p .mts files and the Bravia listed them correctly as AVC. They play fine, though they do stutter a bit (probably due to my PC being on wifi rather than cable connection).

But really I would like to view H.264 rips, usually 720p, intended for PS3 (level 4.1) using the TV as a renderer but without transcoding. I gather that this should be possible, as tsMuxer will convert the container on the fly from mp4/m4v/mkv to mts.

I downloaded a suitable rip - a good one to test because of its small 530MB size: The Informant! 2009 BluRayRip 720p 5_1_ch AVCHD h264 subs 1h48m mp4.

The problem is that the Bravia lists the file as MPEG2 (which I presume is the fault of PS3MS incorrectly analyzing the file). I have checked Definitely disable subtitles and Switch to tsMuxer when H264 video is ps3 compatible, which this one is. It nevertheless tries to use MEncoder to transcode and my old PC cannot handle it.

However, if I force tsMuxer to have a higher preference than MEncoder then attempt playback of this file (still showing as MPEG2) it does indeed play without transcoding. It claims to be using MEncoder but the CPU use on the PC (a Pentium 4) is around 5% so it must be using tsMuxer. If I abort on the Bravia and return to the folder listing, the Bravia will then correctly list the file as AVC until the next time PS3MS is restarted. It also plays fine, though it still claims to be using MEncoder when it is not. I have tried with several other PS3 compliant mkvs and they all exhibit this behaviour. It looks to me like the AVCHD detection that PS3MS uses needs to be fixed, since it only seems to pick tsMuxer when I force it to.

Noticing some small stutters during panning on one the files that worked, I found that these were fixed by checking the Fix 23.976 / 25 fps mismatch option in the #Video Settings# folder on the Bravia's XMB. This option cannot be set in the PS3MS GUI.

I noticed in Bravia5500.conf there is an option for faster/better media detection which I tried, but this did not improve the situation.
Can anyone else reproduce my findings with their Bravia? It's so nearly working perfectly!

# ps3mediaserver renderer profile for Sony Bravia 5500 series
# Refer to PS3.conf for help

RendererName=Sony Bravia 5500 Series
RendererIcon=bravia.png
UserAgentSearch=notusedhere
UserAgentAdditionalHeader=X-AV-Client-Info
UserAgentAdditionalHeaderSearch=(BRAVIA KDL.+5[0-9]{3})|(BRAVIA KDL.+WE5)|(BRAVIA KDL-[0-9]{2}XBR9)|(BRAVIA KDL.+EX5)
Video=true
Audio=true
Image=true
SeekByTime=true
TranscodeVideo=MPEGTSAC3
TranscodeAudio=MP3
DefaultVBVBufSize=true
MuxH264ToMpegTS=true
MuxDTSToMpeg=false
WrapDTSIntoPCM=false
MuxLPCMToMpeg=false
MaxVideoBitrateMbps=0
MaxVideoWidth=0
MaxVideoHeight=0
H264Level41Limited=true
MimeTypesChanges=
DLNALocalizationRequired=true
TranscodeExtensions=mpg,dvr-ms,dvr,mkv,dv,ty,mov,ogm,hdmov,hdm,rmv,rmvb,rm,asf,evo,asx,flv,m2v,mpe,mod,tivo,ty,tmf,ts,tp,m2p,mp4,m4v,avi,wmv,wm,divx,div,flac,mlp,fla,wma,m4a,aac,dts,mka,ape,ogg,shn,mpc,ra,mp2,wv,oma,aa3,gif,png,arw,cr2,crw,dng,raf,mrw,nef,pef,tif,tiff
StreamExtensions=

#Better/faster codec detection method ! true to enable it
#Need testing !
#MediaInfo=false
#Supported = f:mpegps|mpegts v:mpeg2|mp4|h264 a:ac3|lpcm|aac|mpa m:video/mpeg
#Supported = f:mp3 m:audio/mpeg
#Supported = f:wav m:audio/L16
#Supported = f:jpg m:image/jpeg
Attachments
bravia5500.zip
bravia5500.conf and PMS.conf files
(1.24 KiB) Downloaded 736 times
* Current version installed: pms-setup-windows-1.21.0-SB16.exe
* XP with SP 3
* Sony Bravia KDL 32V5500, firmware PKG1.741EA
* Java build 1.6.0_24-b07
* PMSencoder 1.4.0
maccroche

Postby patters » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:14 pm

Hi maccroche. Thanks for those configs. They didn't seem to make any appreciable difference though. Another thing I've noticed is that, while the 23.976/25 fps fix option does correct slightly juddering panning in videos, it seems to vastly increase the chance of audio video de-sync.

So, on your setup do your mkv clips show up as AVC on the Bravia with a fresh startup of both PS3MS and the TV?
patters

Postby maccroche » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:53 pm

Hello Patters,

patters wrote:while the 23.976/25 fps fix option does correct slightly juddering panning in videos, it seems to vastly increase the chance of audio video de-sync.

I do not follow you, where and how have set up this option? Can you give more details about this, that I test this.

patters wrote:So, on your setup do your mkv clips show up as AVC on the Bravia with a fresh startup of both PS3MS and the TV?

for the mkv file I use for tests purpose, the file is recognized on the Bravia as "mpeg2" data (using the configurations mentioned in the previous post). I works perfectly

Can you play mov and avi data?

Here are the information about the mkv file I use:
General
Complete name : \testfiles\testmkv.mkv
Format : Matroska
File size : 16.4 MiB
Duration : 31s 282ms
Overall bit rate : 4 407 Kbps
Encoded date : UTC 2009-12-21 22:36:56

Video
ID : 1
Format : AVC
Format/Info : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames : 12 frames
Muxing mode : Container profile=Unknown@4.1
Codec ID : V_MPEG4/ISO/AVC
Duration : 31s 250ms
Bit rate : 2 810 Kbps
Width : 1 280 pixels
Height : 528 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.40:1
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Resolution : 8 bits
Colorimetry : 4:2:0
Scan type : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.173
Stream size : 10.5 MiB (64%)
Writing library : x264 core 79 r1347M 5ddd61b
Encoding settings : cabac=1 / ref=12 / deblock=1:-3:-3 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=9 / psy=1 / psy_rd=2.0:0.0 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=64 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=2 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=6 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / mbaff=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=12 / b_pyramid=0 / b_adapt=2 / b_bias=0 / direct=3 / wpredb=1 / wpredp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=25 / scenecut=40 / rc_lookahead=60 / rc=crf / mbtree=1 / crf=18.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=10 / qpmax=51 / qpstep=4 / vbv_maxrate=40000 / vbv_bufsize=38000 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:0.60 / pulldown=0 / nal_hrd=0
Language : English

Audio
ID : 2
Format : DTS
Format/Info : Digital Theater Systems
Codec ID : A_DTS
Duration : 31s 282ms
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 1 510 Kbps
Channel(s) : 6 channels
Channel positions : Front: L C R, Surround: L R, LFE
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Resolution : 24 bits
Stream size : 5.63 MiB (34%)
Title : dts english

Text #1
ID : 3
Format : UTF-8
Codec ID : S_TEXT/UTF8
Codec ID/Info : UTF-8 Plain Text
Title : eng

Text #2
ID : 4
Title : dutch
Language : Dutch

Text #3
ID : 5
Title : spanish
Language : Spanish
* XP with SP 3
* PMSencoder 1.4.0
maccroche

Postby tsp » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:32 pm

patters wrote:Hi maccroche. Thanks for those configs. They didn't seem to make any appreciable difference though. Another thing I've noticed is that, while the 23.976/25 fps fix option does correct slightly juddering panning in videos, it seems to vastly increase the chance of audio video de-sync.

So, on your setup do your mkv clips show up as AVC on the Bravia with a fresh startup of both PS3MS and the TV?

Hi Patters

I have a W5500 and sees the same thing with H264 encoded files turn up as MPEG2. At least that was until I fixed the bug in PMS. Also the reason why PMS claims to use MEncoder while in fact it is using TSMuxer is that the actual check to see if the video can be transmuxed with tsMuxeR instead of transcoded with MEncoder occurs after MEncoder has been selected as the player but before the actual transcoding happens.
tsp

Postby patters » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:55 pm

@maccroche - the 23.976/25 fps fix option I mentioned is not found in the GUI on the server side - it's in the #Video Settings# folder on the Bravia, at the root level of the PS3 Media Server Menu. You can also set it in the PMS.conf file:

fix_25fps_av_mismatch = true

And yes, I can play avis, but transcoded of course. I haven't tried mov files. When I mentioned Audio/Video de-sync I meant when the clip starts it's often out of sync and I have to perform a seek operation (press i on the remote, then hold left or right direction) to try to fix it. Usually a seek will fix it but sometimes not.

@tsp - Thanks. So I take it from your post that you've fixed the source code? If so, any chance of a binary set for those that haven't got the tools to compile? Or will we need to wait till the next 'release'?

I was tinkering last night with the mediainfo options and trying to remove the forced list of filetypes to transcode, instead relying on the defined supported media types (like in PS3.conf) but it doesn't seem to work. Is that down to the Bravia misbehaving, or PS3MS's code?

Shame the Bravia doesn't support non H.264 MPEG4 video in any kind of container. Seems such a waste to have to transcode Xvid/DivX...
Last edited by patters on Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patters

Postby tsp » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:31 pm

@patters: Sure you can get the pms.jar file here:

pms.7z - 5.1 Mb'

backup and replace the pms.jar file in your PMS directory and backup your media cache directory as this version contains a new less memory hungry version of the database engine (and some other fixes that might/will produce new bug. (VLC may turn up as a player - it may work on linux. Also the web streaming from slow websites may work better.)). I will post the change to the source code latter (working on fixing VLC on windows right now).

Actually I'm more annoyed over no support for subtitles on the TV forcing the recoding of the video files (not something my atom based server can do in real time with HD material).
tsp

Postby patters » Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:03 am

Wow great fixes tsp! AVC clips now list correctly. Not sure where this Media Cache folder is though. I'm on Windows 7. Though I'm an admin, User Account Control means that the running context has no permission to write to C:\Program Files. As a result, files which PS3MS tries to save there get written to C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\PS3 Media Server

Took me a while to finally find PMS.conf in there!
No sign of a media cache though...

I wondered if you could maybe answer a couple of other newbie questions:
1) Despite installing AVISynth and FFMpeg, I still have a red icon next to its transcoding engine in PS3MS. Any idea how to get it to work, and more to the point - why would I want it more than MEncoder?
2) Why are you adding VLC as a player? Is that for Web stuff like YouTube?
3) Since I'm only really interested in remuxing, do you think PS3MS would even run NSLU2 storage servers? Or might the overhead of it being Java make that impossible on such a low power CPU?

I agree, the lack of subtitle support without transcoding is frustrating. Another pipe dream would be to have PS3MS be able to proxy H.264 streams from BBC iPlayer directly to the TV. However, I gather that the BBC changed something fairly recently to lock out non Adobe clients (which broke XBMC), despite claiming they embrace open source platforms... http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/24 ... ification/

I have taken a close look at several different mkvs now and all of them seem to play at a slightly mismatched framerate (25 rather than 23.976 I guess), which you can always see on any kind of panning camera shot. However, as I said, checking that option really seems to mess up AV sync. Is this something you might be able to cast your expert eye over, or is this more likely to be a problem with the remuxing engines?
patters

Postby tsp » Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:51 pm

patters wrote:Wow great fixes tsp! AVC clips now list correctly. Not sure where this Media Cache folder is though. I'm on Windows 7. Though I'm an admin, User Account Control means that the running context has no permission to write to C:\Program Files. As a result, files which PS3MS tries to save there get written to C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\PS3 Media Server

Took me a while to finally find PMS.conf in there!
No sign of a media cache though...

The cache is disabled as default so that might be the reason.
I wondered if you could maybe answer a couple of other newbie questions:
1) Despite installing AVISynth and FFMpeg, I still have a red icon next to its transcoding engine in PS3MS. Any idea how to get it to work, and more to the point - why would I want it more than MEncoder?

Avisynth is more flexible so it may work better with some video sources. I don't know why it is not working as my primary PMS server uses linux.
2) Why are you adding VLC as a player? Is that for Web stuff like YouTube?

To play some downloaded asf files that didn't work with mencoder (horrible AV-sync). Turned up that it was easier to fix the time-out that occurred with web streams that took more than 10 seconds to start.
3) Since I'm only really interested in remuxing, do you think PS3MS would even run NSLU2 storage servers? Or might the overhead of it being Java make that impossible on such a low power CPU?

Well I don't think that there is a compiled version of tsMuxeR that is compatible with NSLU2 and I'm afraid that PS3MS is to memory hungry for such a device.
I agree, the lack of subtitle support without transcoding is frustrating. Another pipe dream would be to have PS3MS be able to proxy H.264 streams from BBC iPlayer directly to the TV. However, I gather that the BBC changed something fairly recently to lock out non Adobe clients (which broke XBMC), despite claiming they embrace open source platforms... http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/02/24 ... ification/

It is a little hard to implement when the iplayer is UK only. But according to thissite it may be possible to add support as it seems like VLC can play the stream.
I have taken a close look at several different mkvs now and all of them seem to play at a slightly mismatched framerate (25 rather than 23.976 I guess), which you can always see on any kind of panning camera shot. However, as I said, checking that option really seems to mess up AV sync. Is this something you might be able to cast your expert eye over, or is this more likely to be a problem with the remuxing engines?

I think that the option is intended for video sources where the audio stream comes from a 25 fps source and the video stream comes from a 23.976 fps source. So enabling it on a source where both the audio and video stream has the same framerate will introduce AV-syncing issues as only the video framerate is changes. If time permit I can try to fix it.
tsp

Postby patters » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:51 pm

Thanks for the answers.

I think that the option is intended for video sources where the audio stream comes from a 25 fps source and the video stream comes from a 23.976 fps source. So enabling it on a source where both the audio and video stream has the same framerate will introduce AV-syncing issues as only the video framerate is changes. If time permit I can try to fix it.

I wonder if the panning glitches that I'm seeing without that option set are caused by tsMuxeR being fed a command line which assumes the wrong frame rate (is the detection code wrong maybe, like it was for identifying AVC?). I don't think the mediainfo.dll options are being used in Bravia5500.conf. From what you know of the source code, do you think that enabling that may help in this regard? I guess I could test by using the actual binary of tsMuxeR to convert one of these mkvs into a m2ts and then try streaming that...
patters

Postby maccroche » Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:01 am

Hallo,

using the mentioned pms.jar file below, the file is as AVC recognized. But PMS bugs and stops for other media.

tsp wrote:@patters: Sure you can get the pms.jar file here:

pms.7z - 5.1 Mb'
backup and replace the pms.jar file in your PMS directory and backup your media cache directory as this version contains a new less memory hungry version of the database engine (and some other fixes that might/will produce new bug. (VLC may turn up as a player - it may work on linux. Also the web streaming from slow websites may work better.)). I will post the change to the source code latter (working on fixing VLC on windows right now).

Actually I'm more annoyed over no support for subtitles on the TV forcing the recoding of the video files (not something my atom based server can do in real time with HD material).

Configuration I used:
* Version tested: Java PS3 Media Server v1.20.410 customized with the previous pms.jar
* XP with SP 3
* Sony Bravia KDL 32V5500, firmware 1.7
* Java build 1.6.0_13-b03
* XP with SP 3
* PMSencoder 1.4.0
maccroche

PreviousNext

Return to Alternative Media Renderers