Most files not playing on Sony Bravia W8 DLNA (KDL42W829BBU)

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Most files not playing on Sony Bravia W8 DLNA (KDL42W829BBU)

Postby chrispcarter » Sat May 31, 2014 11:55 am

Hi all, first time posting and it's with a problem... I'm sure I'm not the first one to do that though.

I bought a new Sony Bravia W8 last week, a KDL42W829BBU to be precise, and was looking forward to being able to use the media server on it to play my videos without having to use the PS3 as a go-between. I assumed that because I had been encoding all my video to work with the Sony PS3, playing it on a Sony TV would be a piece of cake. Looks like I was wrong!

Most files I've been wanting to watch are mkv files which have been re-encoded using mkvmerge then mkv2vob into x264 mpg files. These play fine on my PS3, and also on my HTC One M8 using Bubble uPnP.
However, when I've tried to watch them on the TV, I'm getting nowhere.

Initially I was getting media server not recognised on PMS. After a little research, I realised that the TV wasn't being recognised as a W series because the BraviaW.conf was formatted as

Code: Select all
UserAgentAdditionalHeaderSearch=BRAVIA KDL-[0-9][0-9]W(6|8|9)[0-9][0-9][b]A[/b]
- and my new TV was coming up with a B. So I created a copy, BraviaW_B.conf, and edited the line to:
UserAgentAdditionalHeaderSearch=BRAVIA KDL-[0-9][0-9]W(6|8|9)[0-9][0-9](A|B)
- simple, and sure enough PMS now recognises the TV as a "Sony Bravia W6/W8/W9".

Unfortunately, I still don't seem to be able to play 95% of my video files - the x264 files show up in the media server's lists fine, generate thumbnails and show duration information, but when I try to play them, it looks as if it's opening, and says it's playing, but there is no picture or sound and the time stays at 00:00:00.

PMS, for it's part, doesn't return any errors - logs just state a normal play event, i.e.
INFO  2014-05-31 11:19:39.294 [StartPlaying Event] Started sending C:\Videos\The Walking Dead\Series 1\The Walking Dead - S01E01 - Days Gone Bye (1080p).mpg to Sony Bravia W6/W8/W9 on 192.168.1.94
INFO  2014-05-31 11:20:30.696 [StopPlaying Event] Stopped sending C:\Videos\The Walking Dead\Series 1\The Walking Dead - S01E01 - Days Gone Bye (1080p).mpg to Sony Bravia W6/W8/W9 on 192.168.1.94

I also have some AVI files which the TV doesn't even show as files in the folders, again no errors showing in the PMS log.
I previously had most transcoders in PMS disabled, as I preferred to encode to a compatible format to avoid any extra strain on the serving machine, but turning them all back on made no difference either.

The only thing that seems to be working is an MP4 file I have that I never re-encoded at all, but I'd hope I don't have to re-encode everything in my library to MP4 just to use the TV, as it would take me months!

Has anybody got any ideas as to what I am missing? Should I be using a duplicated .conf file like that or should I have edited the original?
Thanks in advance for anyone taking the time to look.

Example of video info from MediaInfo:

General
ID                                       : 1 (0x1)
Complete name                            : C:\Videos\The Walking Dead\Series 1\The Walking Dead - S01E01 - Days Gone Bye (1080p).mpg
Format                                   : MPEG-TS
File size                                : 4.09 GiB
Duration                                 : 1h 7mn
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 8 688 Kbps
Maximum Overall bit rate                 : 35.5 Mbps

Video
ID                                       : 4113 (0x1011)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4.1
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, ReFrames                : 4 frames
Codec ID                                 : 27
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 7 759 Kbps
Maximum bit rate                         : 40.0 Mbps
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate                               : 23.976 fps
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.156
Stream size                              : 3.58 GiB (88%)
Writing library                          : x264 core 118 r2085 8a62835
Encoding settings                        : cabac=1 / ref=4 / deblock=1:0:0 / analyse=0x3:0x113 / me=umh / subme=7 / psy=1 / psy_rd=1.00:0.00 / mixed_ref=1 / me_range=16 / chroma_me=1 / trellis=1 / 8x8dct=1 / cqm=0 / deadzone=21,11 / fast_pskip=0 / chroma_qp_offset=-2 / threads=12 / sliced_threads=0 / nr=0 / decimate=1 / interlaced=0 / bluray_compat=0 / constrained_intra=0 / bframes=3 / b_pyramid=2 / b_adapt=1 / b_bias=0 / direct=1 / weightb=1 / open_gop=0 / weightp=2 / keyint=250 / keyint_min=23 / scenecut=40 / intra_refresh=0 / rc_lookahead=40 / rc=2pass / mbtree=1 / bitrate=7759 / ratetol=1.0 / qcomp=0.60 / qpmin=0 / qpmax=69 / qpstep=4 / cplxblur=20.0 / qblur=0.5 / ip_ratio=1.40 / aq=1:1.0

Audio
ID                                       : 4352 (0x1100)
Menu ID                                  : 1 (0x1)
Format                                   : AC-3
Format/Info                              : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension                           : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness              : Big
Codec ID                                 : 129
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 640 Kbps
Channel(s)                               : 6 channels
Channel positions                        : Front: L C R, Side: L R, LFE
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Stream size                              : 308 MiB (7%)
chrispcarter

Re: Most files not playing on Sony Bravia W8 DLNA (KDL42W829

Postby chrispcarter » Sat May 31, 2014 1:02 pm

I've had a bit more fiddle about, and it seems that if I used mkvmerge to convert the above file back to MKV, the TV and the PS3 were both able to play it if transcoding was enabled. But I don't really want to transcode, the server is my desktop, not a dedicated Media Server, and sometimes I will be using it whilst someone else is streaming from it. Has anyone got any idea what format or settings I can use to natively play on both the PS3 and the TV?
chrispcarter

Re: Most files not playing on Sony Bravia W8 DLNA (KDL42W829

Postby chrispcarter » Mon Jun 02, 2014 12:30 pm

Just in case anyone has the same issue, I've given up. DivX Player's bundled Media Server seems to play both the encoded files and MKVs to my PS3 and the TV with no issue, so I've just binned PMS.
chrispcarter

Return to Alternative Media Renderers