PMS render conf transcode question/issue

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

PMS render conf transcode question/issue

Postby tapoo » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:20 pm

Hey

First of all, i'm trying to set my chromecast with PMS. The chromecast have a very limited range of supported codec:

Code: Select all
Video codecs: H.264 High Profile Level 4.1, 4.2 and 5, VP8
Audio decoding: HE-AAC, LC-AAC, CELT/Opus, MP3, Vorbis
Image formats: BMP, GIF, JPEG, PNG, WEBP
Containers: MP4, WebM

I made my own renderer configuration file and i got stuck in the TRANSCODING AND MUXING CAPABILITIES section. More specifically, at the parameter called TranscodeVideo.
I understand that i must choose one of the 4 profiles, but the profiles doesn't match what i'm looking for.

Is it possible to choose my own video AND audio codec?
I want to use H.264 AND AAC rather than H.264 and AC-3.

I installed FFmpeg since it's supposed to be the best mkv transcoder. Would it be a setting done directly on that application?

Sorry if it was asked before but tried to google it and use the search option on this forum and didn't find what i was looking for.

TL;DR: Can you create a new transcodeVideo profile?

If you managed to transcode for chromecast, i would be interested in how you did it.
thanks
tapoo

Re: PMS render conf transcode question/issue

Postby wuboy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:12 am

It looks like the AAC configuration comes in the "Supported" entries. I hope you can figures this out, I need it too!!
wuboy

Re: PMS render conf transcode question/issue

Postby MrKState » Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:07 am

This is quite a topic for Roku devices as well. All the Roku supports is the h264 format.

If I run the PS3 MS using mostly defaults - do set the engine setting a bit different. With NO rendered defined for a Roku device - and using the Chaneru channel - I am able to view movies on a Roku.

However - if I use the Roku Media Player channel - on the SAME Roku device - the movie will not play.

So - I'm trying to figure out - if NO renderer is defined - then how is the file streamed to the device? Do not see any specific transcoding, etc - when the movie is streamed to Chaneru.... or to Roku Media Player ...

Chaneru
INFO 2014-02-26 18:05:23.318 [New I/O server worker #1-10] Media renderer was not recognized. Possible identifying HTTP headers: User-Agent: Roku/DVP-5.3 (045.03E04016A)
INFO 2014-02-26 18:05:23.321 [StartPlaying Event] Started sending /digLib/Movie/AnimalHouse.mp4 to unknown renderer on ##.##.##.##

Roku Media Player
INFO 2014-02-26 18:05:59.922 [New I/O server worker #1-12] Media renderer was not recognized. Possible identifying HTTP headers: User-Agent: Roku/DVP-5.3 (045.03E04016A)
INFO 2014-02-26 18:05:59.923 [StartPlaying Event] Started sending /digLib/Movie/AnimalHouse.mp4 to unknown renderer on ##.##.##.##

================================================

DEBUG 2014-02-26 17:19:19.543 [main] Reading engines: default: "mencoder,avsmencoder,tsmuxer,ffmpegvideo,vlctranscoder,ffmpegaudio,tsmuxeraudio,ffmpegwebvideo,vlcwebvideo,vlcvideo,mencoderwebvideo,ffmpegwebaudio,vlcaudio,ffmpegdvrmsremux,rawthumbs", current: "mencoder,vlctranscoder,ffmpegaudio,vlcvideo,vlcaudio"
MrKState

Return to Alternative Media Renderers