Chromecast

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

Chromecast

Postby Cypher100 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:44 am

I can use AVIA to get chromecast to receive videos from PMS, the only problem is that there is no renderer config for it.

Here's this https://developers.google.com/cast/supp ... edia_types
The agent is Chrome

I tried making my own config, but had no idea how to do it. I hope someone else out there could do it.
Cypher100

Re: Chromecast

Postby meskibob » Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:07 pm

Follow the FAQ - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=30#p57942
If you want someone else to create the conf file, you'll need to at least provide the HTTP header by going through that FAQ post up through step 10. But if you're going that far, there's not that much more to do :)
I provide NO application support via PM or email, so please post your question to the forum per the Forum Rules.
meskibob

Postby Cypher100 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:57 pm

meskibob wrote:Follow the FAQ - viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3507&start=30#p57942
If you want someone else to create the conf file, you'll need to at least provide the HTTP header by going through that FAQ post up through step 10. But if you're going that far, there's not that much more to do :)

Code: Select all
Possible identifying HTTP headers: User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (CrKey armv7l 1.3.14975) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/31.0.1650.0 Safari/537.36, Referer: http://receiver.aviatheapp.com/
I already tried making my own config. But couldn't get it to work at all. I have no idea what I'm doing.
Cypher100

Postby kaaa » Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:21 am

I want this too. Tried to make my own conf file, but failed.
kaaa

Postby dlowe.ca » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:25 pm

This will detect the Chromecast just fine: UserAgentSearch=CrKey

I've been testing and can't seem to get the right options for the codec. I got it to play once but there was no sound.
dlowe.ca

Postby kaaa » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:21 pm

No one able to make a config?
kaaa

Postby bytesnoop » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:01 am

I am running a headless Ubuntu Server 12.04 box and I have the same setup as OP (Chromecast + AVIA). So far I've been able to make PMS detect the Chromecast and stream MP4 files using the renderer config file below. It also streams MKV files but with no audio. Does anyone have an idea how I can get the audio from the MKV files to work as well?

Besides this renderer .conf file, another important setting to enable in your PMS.conf file is 'Skip transcode for extensions'. In the PMS.conf file, under 'Misc options', locate 'Skip transcode for extensions' and enter the extensions to skip, i.e. notranscode=mp4,mkv

Without the latter setting I could only play movies from the Cache folder (not very elegant), but now they play directly from the Downloads folder.

Code: Select all
# ps3mediaserver renderer profile for Android
# Refer to PS3.conf for help

RendererName=Chromecast
RendererIcon=android.png
UserAgentSearch=CrKey
Video=true
Audio=true
Image=true
SeekByTime=false
TranscodeVideo=H264TSAC3
TranscodeAudio=MP3
DefaultVBVBufSize=true
MuxH264ToMpegTS=true
MuxDTSToMpeg=true
WrapDTSIntoPCM=false
MuxLPCMToMpeg=true
MaxVideoBitrateMbps=0
MaxVideoWidth=0
MaxVideoHeight=0
TranscodeFastStart=true
TranscodedVideoFileSize=0
TranscodeExtensions=mkv,avi
StreamExtensions=hdmov,hdm,flac,fla,dts,ogg,asf,asx,m2v,mp4,mpg,mpeg,mov,wmv
ChunkedTransfer=true

# Supported Video Formats
Supported = f:mp4 v:mp4|h264 a:aac|mp3 m:video/mp4

# Supported Image Formats
Supported = f:jpg m:image/jpeg
Supported = f:png m:image/png
Supported = f:bmp m:image/bmp
Supported = f:gif m:image/gif

***UPDATE***
After some more testing and Googling it appears that the MKV files themselves are the issue. These newer MKV files are created with version 4.x and as such won't play correctly. I found an MKV created with version 3.x and it streamed perfectly with the settings above.
bytesnoop

Postby pongc » Sun Jul 13, 2014 11:42 pm

I tried the above and created a profile for chromecast. PMS does recognize it correctly however it stop streaming ~10 seconds.

Strange thing I noticed is that If I disable automatic detection, and force the renderer to "android" it works fine. If I then copy the settings in the android.conf to the chromecast.conf file it still stops after 10 seconds..
pongc

Return to Alternative Media Renderers