WD TV Play

Discuss alternative media renderers (not PS3) supported by PS3 Media Server (e.g. Xbox 360, TVs &c.)

WD TV Play

Postby Blastercorps » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:55 am

I recently acquired a WD TV Play. NOT a Live, the cheaper Play model. I cannot seem to play any mkv files with it, the WD TV Play always says it is being sent an unsupported format. Mkv files do play on other devices in the house, a sony BD player with DLNA for example, and of course on any proper computer. I do notice that PMS identifies the Play as a Live. I don't think this matters as I looked at the conf file in ProgramFiles>PS3 Media Server>renderers and it appears to list all the formats that WD claims the Play can play. Has anyone else had luck with a WD TV Play?
Blastercorps

Re: WD TV Play

Postby rrrocha » Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:36 pm

If you have a GEN-1 or GEN-2 WD TV device then you will not be capable to watch newly .MKV files, because of their new "header compression", besides WD does not support firmwares updates for these models anymore... You have to use "MKVMerge" tool to uncompress all tracks (Video, Audios, Subtitles etc) existing into the .MKV file. You have to choose "none" in "Compression:" option under "Extra options" tab for each one of these tracks and then click on "Start muxing" button to generate a newer .MKV file that will play on your WD device, with a compressed header "version 1". Hope help you.
rrrocha

Re: WD TV Play

Postby Blastercorps » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:54 pm

Thank you, that explains what's going on.

Is there any way to force PMS to do that or transcode to what the device can use? I found what appears to be the profile for WD TV devices and removed mkv from it, and nothing changed. I tried removing the -nomux option from the MEncoder codec-specific settings, no change.
Blastercorps

Return to Alternative Media Renderers